What is your favorite little-known burger joint?

I can’t remember what the burgers were like, but does anyone remember the A&W drive in across to the east from what’s now Emigration Market? A root beer float was something special!

I don’t recall that one. The only A&W that I can remember was in Jackson Hole, on the north end of town just outside of the elk refuge. I wonder if it’s still there. It has been a very long time since I’ve been there.

There was an A&W in Granger on 3500 South.

Also on 2100 South and–what?–500 East? Carhop service was great. So were the root beer floats.

1 Like

I don’t remember that, what year are you talking about?

It was gone by 1965, I think, replaced by a Chevron station.

2 Likes

Wow, you’re old! :grin:

1 Like

the morning sun will rise

Screen Shot 2024-02-14 at 6.31.25 AM

1 Like

Which burger joint does this photo depict?

2 Likes

the old one

That explains it… I live in that neighborhood now, and had friends in high school in the early 70’s that lived near there, but I was not familiar with the area before about '72. The chevron station was torn down perhaps 10 years ago, and replaced by a commercial building that has had a string of short lived restaurants…

2 Likes

I didn’t find good local burgers until High School. When the family went out for burgers, it was a trip to McDonalds in Provo or a trip to A&W. Since I didn’t like the A&W burgers, I always orders the Fish and Chips.

My favorite burger in Orem was a Polish Dog sandwich from Weinerschnitzel.

When traveling in California, there were a lot of great burgers.

Did I say living in Happy Valley sucked?

2 Likes

Speaking of the good ol’ days, Carmacks on Main St in Bountiful had some incredible burgers along with fresh made donuts.

2 Likes

I don’t see any of Scaddy’s locations still open. The owner is a big time Ute fan.

Woodies on 13th east and like 5400 S.

2 Likes

That’s a good one. I like that one and Millies.

1 Like

My dad would wait for the specials at Dee’s and load us up.

I realize that there are a lot of specialty burger shops or nice places in small towns, and those are good. My favorite is and always will be Crown Burger. I haven’t lived in Utah for about 25 years and whenever I am in town, my first stop in the rental car is to the Crown Burger on North Temple and 300 East.

It is so much my favorite that once, on the night after returning home, I had a dream where I convinced the operators of Crown Burger to build an exact replica near my current home, and I just wouldn’t stop eating them. I woke up before I realized I weighed 300 pounds.

6 Likes

One of my favorite things is getting out of my car in the Crown Burger and taking a deep breath. The aroma of those burgers cooking …

3 Likes

My wife is from Bountiful and so we used to go to Carmack’s. Yes, it was great. I miss that place!

2 Likes

But it tastes like heaven