Utah vs Washington

Maybe, but the optics were terrible, and that matters. That REALLY matters to the CFP committee apparently.

Yeah, that was mostly a massive PR fail. Simply positioning it differently would have made a big difference. Here, I’ll do their PR person’s job for them.

“We are exploring options that will allow BYU to play Washington this weekend. The contracting situation is tricky, but we will do everything we can to hopefully make that game work for both teams”

Sounds a hell of a lot better than “we won’t play them because reasons”.

2 Likes

Such as: “We won’t play them because we believe the whole world revolves around us”

3 Likes

To be fair, BYUs ranking is consistent with past unbeaten teams who had SOS in the triple digits.

When UCF was unbeaten, they started at #15, and they had a P5 win.

The committee is full of morons, but they’ve established a fairly consistent standard with really just two criteria: who did you beat, and who did you lose to?

This was beautiful.

1 Like

Lol that’s a pretty big ‘caveat’.

2 Likes

And an impossible one. As the game couldn’t be solidified in time to get a TV truck to Provo.

1 Like

Yeah, but this isn’t a normal season, and there aren’t nearly as many teams with full resumes as in years past. I can’t believe I sound like I’m defending those twats. I love that they got put where they did, just not so sure the committee wasn’t influenced by this bungle.

1 Like

I think somewhere between 11-14 is about right. You simply can’t reward that schedule with a top 6 ranking. If so, they’ll have cracked the code to this thing – go independent, schedule Timpview JV every week and have a shot at the playoffs. It gets too watered down if they’re rewarded with a high ranking (even if it isn’t their fault). By the end, the top four teams should have gone through some sort of test or crucible that sets them apart. With only SDSU left I think the highest they should get is 10. If they pull a rabbit out of their butt and somehow schedule a blue blood, then good on them. Otherwise…

My question is, who scores more in this game, the offense or the defense (both teams combined)?

I watched UW demolish Arizona last Saturday.

Their QB is really good, if a bit undersized. Accurate, made good decisions, but the ground game made it so he only had to throw 25 times, completed 15 for 230. They have really good WR talent that will test our secondary, especially if we don’t get pressure on. A 65 yard play from P. Nacua on a blown coverage and bad tackling. TE had 100 yards on 9 catches. They played 4 talented RBs who ran hard, but also ran 9 different guys to get to 233 yards rushing total.

It’s hard to know how good they are, as U of A’s defense is not good. Even with the inexperience, we should be able to do better than the Wildcats.

Arizona’s QB did fairly well, even though he was under pressure a lot - 27/39 for 259, to 10 different receivers. Gary Brightwell was their main RB.

Our OL definitely needs to get better push - our RBs are more talented than U of A’s, and I think Bentley should be able to at least match what Gunnell did.

A good challenge, another step in developing experience on defense, and an opportunity for the offense to get untracked.

If there were fans, I would think they’d be really amped for revenge for us winning up there last year, but they’ve had turnover at the HC, at QB, etc, so the lack of the regular Husky crowd helps.

Game on, Saturday 8:30p ESPN.

1 Like

EddieR - nothing sucks worse? So you’re saying this year has completely sucked compared to your last 5? What sucks is playing a decent schedule with 5 or so P5’s and becoming completely irrelevant. Realizing all your prior success was because of schedule. Realizing that a decent schedule means you have to replace your coach every 6 or 7 years because you don’t and never will have the talent to compete at that level.

And yet you’re being talked about at that level now. Nothing sucks worse simply isn’t true. It has been a long time since it’s been better for you and it’s precisely because you won’t learn how good you aren’t. The Pandemic didn’t screw your season, it saved it snd your coach.

6 Likes

I am getting so excited for this game. The USC game was great. Not the score, but there is so much potential on the field there. To see Jordan come in and even Bernard flashed in a play or two. That was awesome. Bentley didn’t look great, but we also know he is better than that. The OL has potential to do better. We know Kuithe can be better and Thompson as well.

The DL was solid, but the LB’s…wow, they were fun to watch. Lloyd was above average, which was a little disappointing but Sewell was great and Fotu played very well, especially considering he is a true freshman. I wonder if we will see more of a 4-3 defense instead of the 4-2 where Sewell does a hybrid LB/S and Fotu plays more LB if the S’s aren’t playing as well as we’d like them to.

And Phillips gets all the pub and he flashed, but he got his ass kicked vs USC. Welcome to the league, amiright? It will be fun to see him respond after a week of being humbled.

The CB we should be talking about is Broughton. Holy HELL he balled out vs USC. He is going to be a star. He was good in coverage but in run support he was awesome. So often he turned the play back into the inside, took on blocks…he was a BEAST out there. He prevented so many long runs with his fantastic contain on the edge. Phillips may be the guy with the hype but Broughton is BY FAR our best CB right now. He was awesome.

While we might not win, this team is FUN and full of talent and it was a pleasure watching them last week, outside of the TO’s.

I can’t wait to see if they can clean those up and watch this team get better. Super exciting.

EddieR, if you’re depressed and need someone to talk to, send me a DM. We all have dark days.

1 Like

Sounds like the kickoff has been moved to 5:30.

I’m not optimistic at all about this game, but I sure am grateful to have it!

I really hope college football learns a lesson about flexibility from this season.

3 Likes

It’s 5:30 on ABC now

Agreed. Wouldn’t surprise me if we go 0-fer for the season.

FPI says 60% chance for Washington. I say 35-31 Utes.

Crazy how this keeps changing. We saw this:

Then 24 hours later (maybe less) we have thus, which is much better:

Game is now at 7:30 Eastern time, 5:30 mountain. And it is on ABC.

1 Like