Utah vs USC Thread

I think some of that may have been intentional. They were focused on not getting beat deep, which opened things up underneath.

I also think becasue of the inexperienceā€“Marks, Vaughn, Reed, Latu (to a lesser extent), etc., we are playing a lot more (soft) zone this year. Looked like Scalley wasnā€™t going to let 2019 happen again, when thy just threw deep andtheir receivers went up for the ball.

Also looked like all of our new guys played well, esp. Vaughn.

7 Likes
9 Likes

Looked like he was just frustrated, had the drop the play before, trying to carry the team himself.

No shortage of jawing all night.

I love the story behind that touchdown. From the Deseret News:

With time ticking down, the Utes were going to run the ball, then stop the clock and attempt a field goal. However, the coaching staff noticed that Rising was in the wrong formation.

A timeout was called and Whittingham asked what was going on. Rising said he thought the coaches had called a flea flicker.

ā€œI said, ā€˜Great call. Letā€™s go with it.ā€™ I talked to (offensive coordinator) Andy (Ludwig) about it and he said, ā€˜Letā€™s go with it,ā€ Whittingham said.

So Rising completed a 37-yard touchdown pass to Devaughn Vele on a flea flicker with 10 seconds left in the half to propel them to a 21-10 advantage at intermission.

Maybe I am reading too much into it, but it almost sounds like the players had a better idea of what was needed there than the coaches. Either way, it was definitely ā€œWow!ā€ worthy.

2 Likes

FWIW, Rising said right after the game that he misread his wristband and called the wrong play. Then the coaches asked about it during the time out and decided it was the play to call. So it was a partly accidental, partly ingenious call.

3 Likes

ā€¦and a teaching moment for the coaches??? :grinning:

4 Likes

:grin: I hope so.

It was so perfectly executed and so perfect for the moment. Utah went into halftime with huge momentum and its opponent went in demoralizedā€“and probably fighting creeping feelings of panic.

3 Likes

If we could just get Kyle to stop meddling in the offense we could have a better throw game.

2 Likes

For those who like watching this play over and over.

5 Likes

And since I posted the last score of the first half, hereā€™s the first score of the second half. By this time the Trojan faithful had moved from simply worried, to the edge of panic, to the onset of depression.

3 Likes

Love the clips. Thomas looks like a freight train. :grinning:

5 Likes

I just noticed the lead block by Kump. Wow he just pushed his guy 10 yards downfield!

5 Likes

Is he okay, he left the field at one point? Limping and with assistance.

Great game and atmosphere at the Coliseum. The fans werenā€™t too happy with us Utes, but fortunately they were heading for the exits early in the third (traffic in LA is terrible, Iā€™m told). That was a fun time in the coliseum for once!

5 Likes

I read the number wrong in the clip. I noticed when I rewatched the game on TV, it was number 69, Moala, not 68 Kump. But to answer your question, I donā€™t have any knowledge on Kumpā€™s injury, but it looked severe enough that heā€™ll be out for a while.

I was afraid of that. Thanks.

Rumor is that Kump will be out for a bit. Bam played well against USC, needs to continue to progress (really the entire OL needs to progress for Utah to finish the season strong).

Also - Simi Moala is no longer with the team and not even on the roster (and nobody seems to know why as far as I can tell).

Thanks. When Kump left the field, I knew it was not a trivial ding. So sorry to hear this.

ā€œHe runs with intentionality.ā€ Really? Why is it that announcers, primarily sports announcers think it makes them sound smart to make up BS words like that? Trickeration is another one thatā€™s just ridiculous.

But it was a good play.

2 Likes