Utah vs. BYU hoops game Saturday

This today from the Deseret News…“The University of Utah announced Thursday that Saturday’s game (5 p.m. MST, Pac-12 Networks) is a sellout, the first for Utah since Lonzo Ball and UCLA came to the Huntsman Center on Jan. 14, 2017.”

Did anyone here attend the Jimmer game in the Huntsman center when he went off? What percent of the arena were BYU fans that game? I wonder if it will be similar to this game where this is the most excited BYU have been about a game in the Hunstman center since that season.

Do Utah players need to fear being sucker punched tomorrow? Hasn’t there already been a punch thrown by the Lords University team this year? If I’m Craig Smith I tell my players when the game starts to unravel for byu, keep your head on a swivel.

5 Likes

Cougar player, not sure which one, was ejected few weeks ago for a punch.

Well, things have changed since then up on the hill. Back then they put season ticket holders all over the arena. They don’t do that anymore. All Utah season ticket holders are in the lower bowl now. That’s how Utah is able to curtain off the upper section if they don’t expect a large crowd. The GA tickets are all above, so unless Utah season ticket holders sold their seats to BYU people, all the BYU fans will be up in the upper bowl. It’ll probably be about 65/35 Utah fans I think.

1 Like

Not sure, is Marshall Henderson playing tomorrow? Also, glad to hear that Utah fans acknowledge BYU as the Lord’s university.

1 Like

Atiki got tangled up and swung at an ASU player with 30 seconds left in the game and BYU up by 28 and got suspended for the next game. A really dumb move by him.

1 Like

Not sure, is Flop Emery playing?

5 Likes

Only if flop taylor is.

LOL, byu is so obnoxious

2 Likes

I was going to make a crack about how we have won 12 of the last 16 in basketball and then remembered our football problems.

1 Like

Why did Marshall Henderson leave Utah? I don’t remember much about him at Utah other than the infamous punch…he seemed to be a decent player for them statswise, but he was definitely a little weird at Ole Miss trying to pick fights with opposing fans and such.

what’s sad is that byu hasn’t been that good during that run (except when they had Jimmer), Utah has just flatlined for the last 5-6 years. This year is the first year I think they have a shot to finish in the top half of the league and possibly make the NCAA tournament.

3 Likes

Another thing that’s sad is this has happened with 8 of the last 10 meetings being in SLC (including the game tomorrow). Who scheduled that for us?!?!

Well, we will have channel our inner Wyoming and bring our pee balloons…

1 Like

I realize that “Utah fans acknowledge BYU as the Lord’s university” is tongue in cheek, but please don’t make me barf. :slight_smile:

I hope my Utes win, and if they don’t that it’s a close game. I don’t think I can answer the sucker punch question, but let’s hope that both teams and fan bases can keep it civil.

3 Likes

I hope it is civil as well, and have enjoyed my time on this board, as it has been pretty friendly for the most part. The odds have BYU favored by 3.5, so they are predicting a close game, and as long as Carlson is playing, I think it will be a close game. Although, from what I have read, there is still nothing on if Carlson will be playing or not.

1 Like

I gather that you’re in or near SLC or Provo. So you are much closer to the action than I. I hope that means you have better access to information.

I hope Carlson plays, we need everyone.

I’ve enjoyed your comments, and humor. Banter like this is enjoyable. What we had a few years ago was not. That alone was why I wanted to avoid playing BYU. If we can keep the banter friendly, then bring on the rivalry again.

1 Like

I would be surprised if Carlson doesn’t play, as I think he is pretty invested in this game. I agree with the friendly banter. I used to be a much more rabid BYU fan when I was younger, but have mellowed with age I suppose…it will be interesting having BYU and Utah in the same conference again…

1 Like

Set several freshman records in his year at Utah (threes made, threes attempted, threes missed) . Had a rather short temper. Took the foolish swing which grazed Emery (who fell like a soccer player in the penalty area) but the intent was there and he very deservedly was ejected and suspended (I think it was just one game, possibly 2). A few other times almost got into scraps with opponents and had a reputation for not getting along with teammates in practice. Most Utah fans were somewhat relieved when he left.

I remember at least one time when he was at Ole Miss, running over to the opposing student section and pulling on his jersey to celebrate a win. .

6 Likes

Henderson was an idiot.

5 Likes