Utah vs BYU 20 Year Comparison

Someone sent me this today and I thought I’d post it here to see what ya’ll thought.

I think it’s funny BYU thinks they’re going to step in and immediately dominate a P5 league when they’ve been under .500 against that same competition over the past 20 years.

They’re going to have a rude awakening when they don’t get what amounts to 3 weeks of BYE mid-season.

14 Likes

I’ve been lurking for the last few months and when I saw this post I was sure there would be more conversation. The first thing I noticed when I looked at the original post is that it is really tough to win on the road against a P5 opponent. The second thing I noticed is that Utah really has had a good run over the last 20 years especially in their big games. The third thing I noticed is that the gap between BYU and Utah is not as great as some of you might think it is. BYU will struggle going into the Big 12 for the first few years, there’s no doubt about that. But I think Independence has prepared them a little bit better than the Mountain West Conference would have. Disagree if you want, that’s your prerogative and feel free to Flame away.

Totally reasonable take. I think a lot of Ute fans were surprised how hard the first few years were. A lot of people we calling for Whittingham’s head. I hope Sitake can weather the storm.

1 Like

BYU, short of not having injury bug problems at all, will get to know what a Nowinber is.

Those damned things are frustrating as hell!!!

It will take them several years to get the recruiting depth necessary to cover up the injury bug issues that seem to show up in November.

To the talent gap, urban Meyer said it best when he pointed out generally the first team’s of every football team in FBS are pretty equal head to head. It’s when those guys go down that you see the talent gap appear. Going back to Mac, who used to say a game was won or lost based on 5 plays during a game, in a conference full of teams without a week for a gimme win, getting those 5 “wins” every week is a lot harder. BYU will have to negotiate a schedule without any in-conference gimme wins.

Time will tell, and I do expect them to have some success, but with the Sybil-type fan base they have, they won’t have the patience to give Kalani the time to upgrade the roster.

1 Like