Utah vs Arizona MBB

Was that last long trey a decent shot?

That was not going down!

Looks like itā€™s over.

Tough, tough loss. Canā€™t fault the effort. The poor free throw shooting was a killer.

2 Likes

Very proud of those young men. Credit to Zona for palying a tough opponent and the win on the road in a great crowd!

2 Likes

The Utes gave it all hey had, and have nothing to apologize for.

5 Likes

I think we just handed Colorado a win. Our guys played tough. Losses like this one hurt, but they can take out their angst on Hurley and the Solar Zoobs.

2 Likes

Just saw the FT %ā€¦48%.

2 Likes

Too bad that much of the nation couldnā€™t watch the game because it was on P12 TV.

2 Likes

Was at the game with Steggy. Zona simply has more talent and better depth, but the Utes fought like warriors.

It took a while for the crowd to arrive, but the Hunty was very much like the atmosphere in the WAC days going back to Utah-AZ battles in the 70s, the bomb threat game, etc. That was the most impressive weeknight crowd Iā€™ve seen in the post-Maji era, easily, Iā€™m going to guess about 11,000, maybe 12,000. There were a few hundred UA fans, basketball is their core identity, but Ute fans really showed up.

Weā€™re not at that level of talent yet, but the seeds are growing in the Craig Smith era. In particular I looked at how Exacte was reacting to the carnival atmosphere as we traded blows with a Top 10 talented team. He was really pumped up and into it.

If itā€™s been a tough sell for higher level recruits because of lackluster fan support, I think that issue is dissipating and if the recruiting can keep building, next year could be a decent debut in a more intense conference.

Craig Smith seems to have a little Ted Lasso in him, the players are responding.

4 Likes

Great comeback that just came short and a great crowd atmosphere. Huntsman was rocking it last night. Have to hit those blasted free throws.

Very much need a large loud crowd Saturday night to help energize the team. Would be crushing to drop another home game at this point with so many road games on the horizon.

2 Likes

We could have won it several times and they could have done so as well. Great to see the team pull together and fight. This game and outcome can either propel them forward or cause them to flounder. Hoping for the later. The crowd looked great from my television in San diego

1 Like

In the first OT there was a break in action and Deivon squatted down close to midcourt, just trying to recharge and find some energy. I knew at that point it would be an uphill grind to find a win.

Iā€™m pretty sure the team will keep battling - they were dialed in to whatever Craig was saying, on every possession. Thereā€™s zero distance between the coach and what the players want to do.

Tad Boyle should buy the Utes a nice team dinner, and by the same token, Iā€™m worried about tomorrowā€™s energy level. We really laid it out, essentially played a game and a half.

49 minutes for Smith (and 51 for Madsen), Very much could have used Worster last night

2 Likes

I think Deivon is playing at 80-90%. It looked to me that his ankle is still bothering him. A few times he bent down to massage it or tighten his shoe. He played a lot of minutes and played tough. I love his effort.

I was disappointed see most of the crowd leave once we got down by 6 points in the 3rd OT. Stay 5 more minutes and cheer your teamā€™s valiant effort.

7 Likes

I noted to someone I attended last nights game with as fans were streaming out late in the 3rd OT that those leaving were the type of fans that walked out of Rice-Eccles and missed epic comebacks during the Fresno State and Air Force games in 1995 (which we both stayed for). But even once it was essentially over, the team deserved to have the crowd stay and clap along with the band playing Utah Man and be cheered off the court after that effort.

6 Likes

I was at the Manny Miracle game to the very end. I never leave early as a result.

6 Likes

Worth reposting. Madsenā€™s 3 to tie the game in regulation brought it to mind as well.

3 Likes