Update on something that you guys have helped me with

So, I talked to my bio father again today. It went well, pretty much like the first time a couple of weeks ago or so.

We’re going to meet in person, for the 1st time since I was a toddler, on Sunday. This helps in that he’s not very far from us, 2 or 3 hrs up I-95.

In someways I’m excited. In others I’m nervous. During our previous call he did give me some family medical history, which was really good to get, and sent on to my docs.

I think what I’m most hopeful about is that I having family that is fairly close by. I don’t expect this go poorly, in fact I expect the opposite. I do feel a bit overwhelmed, but I don’t know who wouldn’t.

Mrs CCU continues to be supportive.

Anyway, I just want to thank you guys for the help you’ve given me over the last while on this subject.

that’s awesome. Congrats!

1 Like

Good luck!

1 Like

Great to hear man.

Good luck!

1 Like

We adopted my oldest son (now 12 years old). We met the birth mother when she was 17 and 8 months pregnant, and have had a fantastic and open relationship with her ever since. She has since gone to byu, got married, and has a small little family of her own now. She attended his baptism, comes and visits on his birthday, and plays an important role in his life.

The birth father lives in Kansas. We have sent facebook messages a couple of times a year but had never met him or spoken on the phone. In July we took a cross-country road trip. As part of our trip we contacted him to see if we could stop by and visit.

He said yes and we were anxious to meet him and wondered how my son would handle it - well, it was the highlight of my summer. When we pulled up to the house in Kansas my son’s birth father, his wife and his 3 kids greeted us so warmly. His parents, siblings and spouses, and nieces and nephews were there too. My son got to meet about 20 of his biological family members. At 12 he isn’t the most mature guy, but he recognized the gravity of the situation and while all the other children were playing he sat in the living room for 2 hours asking and answering questions, noticing traits he had inherited, and getting to know his biological family. It was beautiful to see the connection and the relationship begin with not only his birth father, but this whole family.

Since then we’ve messaged with his family almost weekly, sending pictures or clips of my son’s football/soccer highlights from this past season. The relationship will continue to grow, and I hope my son appreciates the fact that he has good and open relationships with his biological parents.

The most heartwarming part of the experience was a comment my son made - our cross country trip was an effort to getaway and enjoy some experiences during this crappy year. So we flew one way to Ft. Myers, Florida. We drove home from there, visiting a lot of places that we otherwise wouldn’t. But after many days at the beach, an everglades airboat tour, numerous state parks and adventures, I asked my son what his favorite part of the trip was and he said “meeting birth dad Nate, hands down.”

I hope that you meeting your bio dad will be the same, that it’s the highlight of your year - it’s the start of a new relationship that I hope will be special for both of you.

6 Likes

I wish you guys (everyone) the very best. I had been estranged from my only sibling for about 12 years and I think in the long run, the amount of pain, anxiety and energy spent thinking about a person in your family can be devastating. I can now pick up the phone and call that person anytime, and although we lost a lot of years in between, the love and affection is real. It’s really hard to feel complete if you have a place in your heart filled with hatred or remorse.
Be open and honest with your own feelings and take care of yourself on your journey

3 Likes

Thank you. I like hearing that your son is happy with meeting his bio dad. I hope that my meeting goes well. I expect it too. I expect to feel a ton of emotions, mostly good ones I hope. The phone conversations have been pleasant, and informative. If you would please @mineral tell your son that he’s a good example for me. I hope to have as good experience as he did.

3 Likes

This is wonderful to hear. Nothing, and I mean nothing, will change a person’s life like clearing up things with their parent(s). Very happy for you.

3 Likes

Man, you are incredibly fortunate. There are so many horror stories out there about these types of situations.

3 Likes