University Administration

3 finalists to be announced Wednesay. You probably will be happy.

1 Like

Great. I hope whoever is chosen has some vigor, vision and charisma.

Utahā€™s press release is a lot more on each candidate

Iā€™ve known Dean Taylor Randall for a considerable number of years and have nothing but high praise for him. Heā€™s actually a 3rd generation Randall family faculty member in the College of Business. Accordingly, his Univ of Utah roots and loyalty run extremely deep. Heā€™s done a phenomenal job as the Dean. But I disagree with your statement that the school was in the dregs beforehand.

I regret that I only have but one star to give to this post. I graduated from the business school while he was dean. I couldnā€™t agree more with you.

Candidates will be on campus today with about 6 different interviews, including a public session. The candidates will interview with the Board on Regents tomorrow, and the BOR will meet afterwards to choose a new President. Decision should be announced tomorrow evening.

Todayā€™s public presentation can be viewed online live if interested:

Live Events - The University of Utah

Watkins gets excoriated for the Uā€™s Lauren McCluskey response, which is why she resigned. A lot of that was due to bad legal advice she got. A close friend who has worked for numerous presidents over the years at the U thinks she was a terrific president (I know, I knowā€“ā€œother than that, how was the play Mrs. Lincoln?ā€) . This friend says Watkins was the person who pursued AAU membership the hardest, and should get the most credit for the membership. FWIW.

6 Likes

Part of being a leader is surrounding yourself with good advisors.

The Uā€™s public relations strategies have beenā€¦.questionable at best.

And that will always take down top people, regardless of intent.

If you missed yesterdayā€™s public forum it can still be watched HERE.

Announcement scheduled around 5p today on new Utah President.

When David Gardner became the Uā€™s president (at the age of 39) he immediately chose the other two runners up for the position as his second and third in command.

True, but it is a lot harder to ignore legal advice when you are not a lawyer, and the advice is coming in part from attorneys outside your control (i.e., the AGā€™s office), as well as the Uā€™s lawyers.

1 Like

Whoever gets this job has a lot of issues to juggle. The Med School, the Righteouslature, the PAC 12, the Key Donors, the Boards of Regents and Trustees, the Academic Senateā€¦the list goes on.

Hiring the right staff to make it all work is an absolute for success.

2 Likes
5 Likes

Excellent choice! Heā€™s a proven leader as the 12 year Dean of the College of Business and a 3rd generation faculty member of the Randall family at the U. This wonā€™t be a normal job for him. Itā€™s a legacy of leadership. Wonderful news!

1 Like

Buckle up, everybody.
University President Taylor Randle is going to transform the U like you would not believe.
This isnā€™t a home run hiring - itā€™s a grand slam hiring. Two grand slams.
I have never been more excited for e future of the U than I am right now in this very moment.
You have no idea whatā€™s in store. Itā€™s going to be amazing.

5 Likes

I think he has a vision for what the U can become. He has been working to create the new innovation district by the intermodal hub that the U will run., for example His tenure could be exciting, hopefully.

2 Likes

You guys make me smile. A university president is a fund raiser. Iā€™m sure this guy will be fine, like all the other presidents before him. As long as he brings in money and allows the great faculty and students to do their thing, heā€™ll have succeed.

He has raised a lot of money for the b school. He should be good at it.

However donā€™t tell Pershing (huntsman/Vivian Lee) or Watkins (Lauren McCluskey) that is is only fundraising. Land mines everywhere

IMHO, I hope his biggest job is keeping the PAC 12 together or making sure the U does not get left behind in realignment. I am sort of kidding, but his business acumen could be really helpful, maybe. He is a big football and athletics fan generally, and understands what is going on.

2 Likes

Hereā€™s the announcement and his acceptance speech. Iā€™m impressed.

1 Like