Tyler Huntley — Coming into his own

I think we can also credit Ludwig for having confidence in Huntley. The last nameless guy that was here didn’t believe in him.

5 Likes

Huntley had the most game of his career last night. Looked confident, poised and it seemed like the game slowed down for him a bit. great game.

2 Likes

I’m [ quote=“LAUte, post:1, topic:279”]

[/quote]

He keeps playing this well and he’ll get a look at the NFL (probably UDFA).

1 Like

Red zone issues was the only thing marring the USC performance, and that certainly wasn’t all on him. He’s been incredibly accurate and careful with the ball all year. His football IQ has skyrocketed too. I agree with Ironman that he may have a shot at the NFL if he keeps progressing.

He’s been incredibly accurate and careful with the ball all year.

Not a single interception yet. That’s amazing.

Here are his stats for his 4 years as a Ute:

3 Likes

Having a legit D1 OC obviously has helped him.

4 Likes

He played inspired ball, but also managed to “see” the field. He seemed to hit open receivers he has missed in the past - once he starts scrambling. Loved the play calling.
Go UTES!

1 Like

Based on ESPN’s QBR he’s #8 in the nation, Zach Wilson is #77 and Jordan Love is #90. Even with flaws in the system he must be the best in the state and he also has the highest rating of PAC12 QBs

So yes. I agree with Coach Whitt. He seems to be in the form he had for his last 4 games last year. Please stay safe Tyler. As WCF says “Be Careful Out There”

2 Likes

He’s really developed over the years, and he’s had two great games in a row, despite the loss to SC. He is seeing the field much better, but still needs to “look left” a bit more. Incremental improvements each game going forward are going to make him a heck of a threat by year’s end.

1 Like

He’s my Saturday evening football buddy.

2 Likes

I have been very critical of Huntley until recently. IMO he proved himself against SC, and impressed me most by moving the chains through the air! I’m amazed at how well we were able to perform without Moss.

1 Like

Yes this was new behavior to me. Looks like Lud is going to have to rely on him to pass more while Moss is out.

I do think that Wazzu sucks, FWIW.

1 Like

Only taking 4 sacks is almost as impressive as the 0 picks, imo. Shows he’s making much better decisions.

Ludwig has made a huge difference for him.

2 Likes

Really like to see Ludwig stick around for at least a couple of 3 years, so we can develop the next QB and integrate the O-line to synchronisity

1 Like

I think you have to give him a ton of credit. He completely remade his body in the off season. He showed that he really wants it bad and his efforts thus far have been rewarded.

3 Likes

He leads with conviction. Doesn’t sulk on the bench. Lots of eye contact with teamates. Seems to hold them accountable and then keeps them in the mix

3 Likes

Agreed, and I have to say that I’m really impressed. I haven’t always been the biggest fan but never a hater. I think the injury and time with Shelly filling in last season was a good gut check for him and really changed him as a person and a leader. Adversity is an excellent forge.

2 Likes

Just take a look at the difference in Huntley’s numbers from last year to this year so far…

2018: 150/234 (64%), 1788 yards (7.6 ave), 6 int., 22 sacks, 140 rating.
2019: 85/114 (74.6%), 1146 yards (10.1 ave), 0 int., 4 sacks, 179.3 rating.

Huntley’s improvement just in the passing game alone has been nothing short of astounding to me. So what has lead to this improvement? Or better yet, what has had the biggest impact on Huntley’s progress this year?

1. His physical improvement–he’s bigger and stronger now.
  2. He’s more experienced–the game is slowing down for him.
  3. He’s getting better coaching–Ludwig is better than previous OCs.
  4. He’s got a offensive scheme that fits his skill set better.
  5. The offensive line play is better this year–no sacks after five games.
  6. The other skill players are better (Thompson, Vickers plus more experienced receivers).
  7. Worse competition?
  8. Other?
3 Likes

His body language and sideline demeanor is one of his areas of greatest growth. He has truly developed into a leader.

2 Likes