Tonight will be mom’s final Utah game

Mom was diagnosed with late stage bile duct cancer 3 weeks ago. At the time, they told her it was very serious, but she likely had 6-8 months to live. She came with me to the USC game the following day, and had a blast.

Unfortunately, things have progressed far faster than anyone could have foreseen. She went into the hospital on Friday to get an ERCP procedure to try and put a stent in her bile duct, but it was unsuccessful. It also started a chain reaction of renal failure and pancreatitis that she was unable to recover from. She decided yesterday to transition to home hospice for her few remaining days. We have her resting comfortably at home. She requested that we put her in front of the TV so she can watch the Utah game. I highly doubt she’ll be lucid enough to know or care by the time it comes on tonight, but we thought it was cool that she asked.

Mom’s been a Utah fan her entire life. She graduated from the U with a Bachelors in Education, then got her Masters in Special Education. Some of my favorite memories as a kid are going to games with mom and dad (who passed about 5 years ago from pancreatic cancer).

Go Utes, hoping we can get one last win for mom to see tonight.

Oh, and f**k cancer. Mom was only 75, you had no business taking her this soon.

Sincere condolences my friend.

3 Likes

I am so sorry for you and your family. And you are correct, 75 is way too young :frowning:

3 Likes

Man, that’s a rough 3 weeks. Glad you have some great memories, both old and new. Hopefully you can keep the memories fresh, and enjoy what little time you have left with your Mom.

I wish I had more than words to offer, you have mine and Mrs CCU’s condolences.

2 Likes

I am so sorry. Please reach out for anything if we can help.

1 Like

There are not adequate words to provide you and your family during this time. I wish I could offer more than condolences, but you have those.

3 Likes

Sorry it’s going this way. Having lost both of my parents to cancer, watching their pain is probably the hardest thing to deal with. Hopefully the kids win one for her.

Now I’m choking up…time to do something else.

4 Likes

Sad for your loss. Even after a long life, it saddens us to lose loved ones. Let’s all think about your dear mother when we yell our FAMILY during the moment of loudness next Saturday.

3 Likes

Cancer sucks. I don’t know anyone who hasn’t been affected by the loss of a loved one due to cancer. Sorry your family has to go through this.

1 Like

So sorry to hear. We went through this with my mother. Best to you and your family.

1 Like

Agree with all the posts. We’re with you, brother. Let any of us know if we can do anything.

3 Likes

Ugh. Sorry, Skiny. I pray for peace for your Mom and some sort of comfort for your family. Utes by 100 for your Mom!

5 Likes

Hugs, Skiny. Big leftyjace bear hugs. (Yes, I’m as big as a bear so I can do this.)

1 Like

Sorry man. :frowning:

1 Like

My heart is with you during this painful time. Your mom sounds like an amazing woman. Words can’t ease your agony, but I hope you will find comfort knowing how many of us would do anything to ease this burden for you.

7 Likes

Mom made it to just after kickoff tonight, and she passed around 8:30. She’d be pleased to know we pulled out a win.

22 Likes

I’m gonna go ahead and say that they won it for her, and the 22’s.

8 Likes

I’m sorry, brother. May God provide comfort to your family.

3 Likes

It’s hard to find words that will provide comfort. A mother’s love cannot be replaced, but memories of her can be cherished and will live on…so sorry for your loss.

4 Likes

I’m so sorry, Skiny. I don’t know what more to say, except that I’m glad that you told us, that you had such a mom, and that we’re all with you.

4 Likes