Thoughts on the game

246 hits on YouTube

When a return guy has multiple return TDs the best option is to kick high coming down between the 20 and 25, forcing a fair catch. If you can’t manage that, kick it out of bounds. What the return team is hoping for is a routine kick to the goal line especially directly to the return guy. Next they hope you try a corner kick or kick out of the end zone. Given wind or other factors, kicks intended for out of the end zone often fall short. The best kick is the one the return team does not want to see. So many teams simply think they have good cover and allow the return guy to do his thing.

1 Like

Credit Weber’s QB Bannon - he was brilliant at evading the rush, buying time and finding WRs downfield. Playing against a polished QB is a perfect Game 1 situation to help our young defenders mature.

Game 1 defensive adrenaline - DEs, LBs, blitzing DBs need to not assume the QB is a statue, be ready to bend their path.

I saw Phillips really get angry at one of the extended play completions. That’s good.

Overall, I really like how we can blend zone with man coverage. No need to show it vs Weber, but I know Scalley likes to disguise coverage, make the pre-snap read worthless. It will be interesting to see how Roderick tries to attack our D.

1 Like

Exactly. They would head straight for the QB, he would evade them to the right, roll out and hit a WR on a comeback route. Did that 3 or 4 times.

2 Likes

A number of times players tried to make the big hit vs sure tackle…that’ll get addressed…on ST, shots at the QB and others.

2 Likes

So I was just congratulating my next-door neighbor (big-time Minnesota Gopher) on his boys hanging with Ohio State the other night. He said it was fun for one half, then said, “Oh hey, you guys had a nice win.”

I replied that it was just our in-state little brother warm-up game. He looked a little puzzled and completely seriously said, “I thought byu didn’t play yet.”

Pretty much made my day. Heh heh heh.

5 Likes

Utah’s win over Weber State is looking better all the time. Been watching Pac-12 games all day.

5 Likes