This year's too-early look at Utah football in 2021

Well, Rising gets the curse of the qb being named a team captain. Now I know he wont start.

1 Like

You know, I have never seen Rising and Uncle Rico in the same place.

Coincidence???

#ThatStache

I’m still rooting for anyone other than the Baylor transfer. If we give the job to a senior transfer, our young QBs will transfer…and then we’re set up for the cycle to continue.

We need to place a bet on one of our youngsters and then ride that bet for the next 2-3 years. That’s the cycle we want to be in. This is the way.

3 Likes

Really interesting stat:

1 Like

This is really interesting.

What strikes me is that pts/drive don’t really drop much with 1/2+ offensive penalties. I always felt a hold (10 yards!) easily stalls a drive and is perhaps the predominant penalty on offense which would more likely lead to a punt.

On defense, a lot of those penalties are either automatic 1st down or longer (pass interference, defensive holding, personal foul/targeting). That seems to make more sense - keeps a drive going, often resets the downs, and gives yards to the opposing offense.

I want to be able to see the spring game…I promise to sit away from everyone.

According to a thread on the CFB page on Reddit, Charlie Brewer had an arm injury and could hardly throw the ball his last season at Baylor. Hopefully he’s healed from that.

the Bryan Thompson news is disappointing. If your going to transfer in conference they need to bring back some stipulations around that again i.e. - sitting out a year.

They made tranferring way too easy. Their heart was in the right place, but the first rule of sports admin should be to do no harm to the sport. They are hurting college athletics by turning it into a free for all minor league.

1 Like

Interesting piece on Charlie Brewer. Almost makes me want to start sipping a little Kool-Aid. Instead, I plan to sit back, hope we actually have a season, temper my expectations, and enjoy the ride.

1 Like

We’re getting the rose bowl berth. Believe it!

2 Likes

If you watch Brewer’s highlights, he has all day to throw in almost every highlight.

You must be fun at parties.

1 Like

I want to sip the kool aid too, and then I think of all our past qb transfers–Grady, Cain (technically jc?), the left-hander from U Dub whose name escapes at the moment, Benchley. I will believe it when I see it and not let the any hype get to me (need to keep repeating for seven months).

I’m still here. Even if the Baylor guy looks slightly better in camp, I’d rather ride with one of the freshman/sophomores. It’s a better long term strategy, I think.

Troy Williams is the UW transfer you were thinking of, concerned.

1 Like

Perhaps if we were a rebuilding program, but, we aren’t anywhere near a program that needs to rebuild. We are a win-now, and reload program in the hunt for a CC every year. It wasn’t always like that, and it won’t always be like that. But we’re in a period of Utah football where we should put the 22 players on the field that will win us the most games right now.

1 Like

Okay, if there is a night and day difference between Baylor guy and the others, for sure go with Baylor guy. Nothing helps long term success like winning.

But if it’s close at all, I’d prefer one of the younger guys. The senior transfer model is not sustainable for us, and it’s not worth running our young guys off unless there is a clear, noticeable advantage.

I think we’ve seen enough of it in recent years to know with certainty that good recruits don’t wait for playing time. They simply transfer.

1 Like

Except Troy Williams is right-handed. Concerned may have been thinking of Kendall Thompson. Or maybe he thought they were the same QB? Really weird.

I conflated them. I meant to reference both Kendall Thompson and Troy williams. Should have said the lefty from Oklahoma

3 Likes