There appears to be some bad blood here

My theory is that after Gary Genius and the scandals, when Bronco was hired, he got a talking-to about how he was expected to act, what values he was supposed to reflect, and that his program had to look, feel and be squeaky-clean. So he was trying to talk the talk. The “pushing the edge of the rules,” or whatever he called it, was the part where he forgot to walk the walk.

I don’t buy your theory, LA. I think Bronco is just a weird guy.

3 Likes

My theory incorporates yours.

1 Like

He’s a surfer. It seems to me, he must have aquired respect for the
sea.

I think LA’s right.

Bronco’s a natural weirdo - even at UVa - but when coupled with whatever duty he felt beyond football in Provo, the weirdity was amplified.

An early manifestation was Bronco playing the role of Captain Moroni, laying on the field at LES with all the players as the Stripling Warriors, listening to old Paul James radio moments from the golden age of BYU over the stadium audio system.

(Somebody in the program had to know early things weren’t going to go well.)

Later in his tenure were things like veiled assertions that the fans were Pharisees, which was gasoline poured on the bonfire of BYU fans’ angst at being left behind and stranded in the wilderness.

We ended up with a fascinating departure, where delusional fans were happy to see him leave, and Bronco laid bare the fundamental problems the program faced.

Bronco’s football IQ won the final debate - they have enormous inherent obstacles.

1 Like

Bronco and BYU fans deserve each other.

2 Likes