The transfer portal + NIL + no serious rules = chaos

Many of the big earners are female athletes, Olivia Dunn, Paige Brueckers, the Cavender twins. They create social media personalities that are attractive to brands. Being pretty and white also helps.

1 Like

See, these ones I’m totally ok with. They made a market for themselves. They got followers. Maybe mostly looks, but they are truly reaping benefits from their name, image, and likeness. Some of these other recruits are not really known so it becomes more pay to play - some might do a little local appearance or sign something, but doesn’t seem like the $ matches what they are doing for the deal. Bryce Young on a DP commercial - yep, pay him.

Each fan base/school has to do what they have to do, but a cap on what is given seems useful. If an athlete ‘takes’ (earns it based on followers, etc.), that’s theirs no matter what.

2 Likes

It is interesting to see the female athletes win big on NIL.

1 Like

There was an attractive softball player at U of A several years ago. I’ll bet she would have done really well with NIL because she seemed to be pretty famous for her looks.

You’re talking about Jennie Finch. But the UofA Alabama version has their Ace Softball player out here doing Hunting Ads:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cg0U7GULGIC/?utm_source=ig_embed&utm_campaign=loading
https://www.instagram.com/p/ClNJyd0rrMe/

LAUte that’s very generous. Coordinate with the coaches next time please :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This is terrible. A young man received a job offer and turned it down. This is abuse and chaos.

Every time I have received a job offer with details of payment I have felt like a victim and wished that the system should have been such that my only options were to take the same job without pay.

I am currently paid for my job- which is fine since I am old and I like because then I can buy things. Clearly young people, however, should have fewer options with less tangible benefits and definitely no money.

The more I think about it, the more I think we should have a minimum age for possessing money- at least for athletes. Regular young people should be able to take possession of cash without penalty. Athletes should be restricted from possessing cash or cash equivalents until they have completed their obligation to their signed University and are under contract with a professional team. Or if they leave athletics- that would also allow them to possess cash or cash equivalents. My planned regulations would solve all of our problems while eliminating funny business and chaos.

NIL should not be pay-to-play. It should be ‘you have recognizable value already and you are allowed to benefit from that’.

And that he didn’t even have an offer … this is absurd.

2 Likes

I completely agree. We really need to crack down on options and have more regulations. It is just not safe to allow people to make their own choices without allowing the wisdom of NCAA officials and state legislators to vet the potential outcomes.

We need change! Young athletes can not be trusted to make decisions in the best interest of fans.

This is probably an oversimplified view, but I believe trying to control NIL would be like trying to control and limit endorsement deals for professional athletes.

All the big sports have firm or squishy salary caps for teams, but nobody even pretends to control or even care about how much an athlete can get on the side.

Why should college be any different? The truth is - it has been going on for a long time under the table in one form or another. I just don’t see any way to try to control it or limit it. Any attempt to do so will just spawn a new cottage industry of folks looking for loopholes and workarounds.

Let the kids get whatever cash they can. They’ve worked hard their entire lives (mostly). They may not be talented enough for the highest level of their sport, but that doesn’t mean we haven’t enjoyed watching them for decades.

1 Like

It’s a little too early to be drinking and having your sarcasm level so high. Whatever capitalistic or liberterian persona you are emitting must not like football because it this wild west will kill college football (and athletics) into a few elites and those that get the crumbs.

Boosters can spend how they want and players can accept what they can (this guy couldn’t accept because he didn’t have a place on the team!). Eventually (hopefully soon), people will realize they are wasting their money (that could go to their college academic or even athletic programs).

Look at Ewers. $1M NIL to go to Ohio St. amd he didn’t play ans left for Texas. And will have to battle Arch next year. TAMU boosters bankrolled a real winner this past year… Hopefully the ‘market’ will even itself out. The kids do deserve money they make, but seems like there’s a difference of actually earning it vs. just getting huge handouts before they’ve done anything at the next level. NFL has rookie contracts for a reason.

2 Likes

I’m just glad the old system was fair and made sure there wasn’t just a few elites. We got to protect the old way that helped with true parity.

1 Like

Mark it…5-10 years from now we are going to see a documentary chronicling a bunch of these kids who got mad money from NIL who are now broke and homeless…kinda like we see in the NFL, NBA, MLB - ok, all professional sports.

It may be time to consider the fact collegiate sports are not longer what the were; and because of this fact, the whole system needs a rethinking, and overhaul to better regulate it. Let’s face it, the Red Rocks are almost as valuable a commodity as the Football team when it comes to NIL. Having boosters recruiting kids instead of reviewing who the coaching staff has on their wish list is complete lunacy, yet it is happening! If the institutions and the NCAA don’t get this herd of cats going in the same direction, the lawsuits alone will kill college sports - and not just football.

5 Likes

I know the byu coaching staff did want that Bball player from Farmington but the reality is: he was paid by a booster to sign with byu. It doesn’t sound like he ever considered byu until a few days before he signed, when the booster/Jazz owner gave him a huge offer.

Strawman, but

Not saying the old system was fair or didn’t have elites, but this will be that on steroids. Coaches recruited and got players to NFL. Boosters boosted facilities and the coaching funding (that got ridiculous too). Dynasties come and go. ‘Blue bloods’ got benefit of doubt in rankings. If only we had ways to numerically compare, like some aggregate of computer and humna polls. Going from 0 to 2 to 4 to 12 teams in a playoff is good. Before, there were some regulations (and punishments, sometimes dumb, waning over time with lawsuits). Now there are basically none. So you’re saying, meh, it was bad, so let’s let it get worse.

Might as well sell college teams to ownership groups and just be done with it. Put in a salary cap and a bidding system (ala medical residency) matching players top schools with what money is available. Too many teams to have a draft. Players can get endorsement deals with companies, not a made up co-ops, and monetize their social feeds as they get followers like any influencer. Hire a commissioner and redo conferences. And while we are at it, add relegation with tiered leagues.

Comes down to this. $600k to an unproven HS player to play for a team they don’t even have an offer from? $1M offered to a current player to transfer to the booster’s school for their senior season (wink wink, didn’t happen)? Ridiculous that it’s even allowed. Let’s call it what it is - professional sports. Tampering. Whatever.

2 Likes

I’ll try without sarcasm:

You guys have neither the right nor the competence to limit other people’s options unless those options are hurting others.

If you don’t like the thread, don’t post on it. You’re no deep philospher and it’s a sports board. Just saying, ‘your opinions are stupid’ in a slightly more elegant was just makes you pompous.

1 Like

I offered the guy in gold coins. He wanted bitcoin. Kids these days!

4 Likes

Point made and understood.

The only strawman is saying a player making money legally is causing a bidding war and ruining the sport. I would say they ruined it by selling the sport out to advertisers decades ago.

You are either naive or refusing to acknowledge players have always been paid. I just prefer it not be by nefarious folks and I’d love for them to be educated about that money. Most of those NBA and NFL players mentioned before never learney management in college. Imagine being in a University setting and having people who can advise you how to take care of that NIL Money.

As soon as but g dollars were maid off TV deals the game was over.

1 Like