The real question is what happens if and when LSU Loses Saturday

Trust me. I bring up the Pac 12 and the idea repulses people this way. No one understands why I spend three weeks in LA every winter. There is a bias against anything West Coast in the B1G, SEC and ACC.

That is such a big problem - this notion that there’s a pre-determined “general consensus” that 2 SEC teams are automatically in if Georgia wins.

The same folks who like to tout this company line are the same apologists who claim that the end of the regular season serves as it’s own playoff - that is until that idea is thrown over the possibility of a 1-loss SEC team being eliminated from the playoff because 1) they lost in their conference championship or 2) they didn’t even make their CCG, but we’re all supposed to cover our eyes and pretend what we see isn’t real because…SEC.

Barf!!!

1 Like

The 8 team proposal doesn’t add any additional time to the playoff schedule, and with the 6 team model you are back to picking pre-determined winners. This year, for example, you have 3 undefeated teams right now if they hold, picking the best two is really a subjective exercise. Why not just go to 8 and let them show on the field they are the team to advance.

2 Likes

It’s so weird that FCS Champions play 17 games in a 16 tournament. How are they able to do it but FBS can’t.

I was using SEC fan logic here, only in reverse, for effect. This is the exact argument SEC fan has been spewing right up until 'Bama lost. Baseless claims of superiority and arguments about Big Boy Football, which are all ■■■■■■■■■ One SEC honk said recently that Texas A 'n M would blow out any team in the PAC and would win the league going away. (Which is another way of saying “I’m an uninformed dumbass.”) My post was tongue-in-cheek, which may not have come across.

But let’s look at a one loss LSU team. They’ve done a lot this year, but as someone else said, recent losses should hurt your team more than early season losses, I believe that’s true. If we are looking for the 4 best teams, then it’s pretty easy to discount a team that just lost its last game, and didn’t win its conference championship as one of the best 4 teams. Next, if we take into account that the SEC is wildly overvalued, largely due to the fact that the nation’s largest sports broadcasting network has a financial interest in its success, we can call into question the quality of those wins.

Add to that the fact that the SEC plays 8 conference games, half of which are literally BAD football teams, plus 4 cupcake games, including 1 Sisters of the Poor game as a warm up to rivalry week, and the strength of the SEC schedule is exposed as extraordinarily soft. The top few teams in the SEC just get fat off the weak schedule and weak conference and only play 3 or maybe 4 challenging games per year. Additionally, SEC teams travel a total of 500 miles or less in a season, where PAC teams travel double or even triple that for one game.

The rosters and recruiting are impressive, granted, but the SEC is a Macy’s Parade of overbloated ratings and self congratulation, headed up by ESecPN.

A 1 loss loser of a conference championship vs a 1 loss winner of a conference championship? Who should get in? For my money, one of the best 4 teams simply can’t be one that can’t even win its own conference championship.

6 Likes

That’s an opinion.

1 Like

Sorry brah we ain’t losing

2 Likes

Heard the same thing for 8 years about not losing to Bama. I guess you guys are right once every 9 years. You guys have however won 2 of 3 vs the Dawgs in the title game.

You are the favorite, it would be embarrassing to lose to a team that lost to Muschamp.

1 Like

Here’s where I would disagree. Ultimately, there IS a need for a 16-team playoff simply for this reason: every team in this FBS “league” is represented. They ALL have an objective path to their “league’s” championship.

As it is, we all know that no G5 will EVER get to play in the 4-team playoff. So, literally, five conferences and all of their teams are shut out of their own championship – the regular season for which they also participate in just as much as the P5s.

Can you imagine the NBA not allowing any East Conference teams to play for the NBA championship?

I get that we don’t need 16 to round up all of the championship worthy teams. That’s somewhere around 6-10. But the FBS has to get past this notion that they actually crown champions and not just conduct a VERY expensive beauty contest.

So, yes, ultimately I’m all for 10 conf champs plus 6 at-large. We’re VERY far from that, and frankly I don’t believe it will happen in less than 30 years. So, I’ll take a 6–8 team playoff expansion in the meantime.

That’s a fair statement. I still will bore people with the 16 team playoff every year

I actually agree with you. I was more responding to someone responding to you, but I’m an idiot and apparently replied to the reply wrong. :joy:

1 Like

No worries. I can’t wait till after Saturday. I will lay out the 16 team tourney how I see it and I bet it looks 100x better than what the 8 team would propose.

Why is it weird?? When the “playoff” is so small, only 4 teams, it makes perfect sense to treat the conference championship as the “first round”. I think they should plan it that way. Winning the championship is a necessary, but not sufficient, condition. There is the weird “musical chairs” fact that you have 5 Conference Champions (plus independent ND, some years) and only 4 spots. Screams for a real 8-team playoff, but that doesn’t look likely in the next few years.

1 Like

No it screams for 16 or people need to shut up. It’s about best 4 teams not best 4 conference champions. Fact is typically 2 conferences are far more inferior than the other 3.

Kinda like the divisions in every single professional sports league in this country? I’d be okay with a very limited number of Wild Cards, but as it is now, if you don’t win your own league, you should be out, no questions asked.

No College football is more like Champions league in Europe. There is talent disparity from each league but one league can have multiple teams.

Again, if we are looking for the best team conference champs doesn’t do it. The 4 best teams are often from 2 to 3 conferences. It’s why I don’t think Oklahoma deserves in just because they win conference. The Big 12 is awful. If they were defending champs and undefeated I’d say Clemson doesn’t deserve in either. Trash conference. P12, BTeleven and SEC were the best product this season.

16 teams and we don’t have these conversations other than at-large.

If you can’t see the difference between this 2019 LSU team and the previous 7 years you need some help

You’re right. They have a better QB. The same QB with a lower QB rating than Mac Jones when they played similar competition. You’ve not played a defense as Good as Georgia this season. Typical SEC fan who believes his team’s hype.

That said, it’ll be so embarrassing to have your best team in 7 years and lose to Kirby Smart.

44-16