The real question is what happens if and when LSU Loses Saturday

I’m having a hard time seeing everyone write in LSU. I’ve seen this before:
EK0VXbyWkAARPXJ

LSU is favored by 4. UGA is missing some key players on offense but UGA’s defense is lightyears ahead of LSU’s defense. If they have their way with Burrow it could be a long day for LSU.

If UGA wins does LSU get dropped from the playoff?

Nope, general consensus is that both LSU and Georgia get in, and I could see the SEC rigging the system to make that happen. What will really create chaos is if both OSU and LSU lose, then what do you do. Put OSU in over Wiscy?

2 Likes

Yes, you put in OSU over Wiscy. Wisconsin cannot get in under any set of this weekend’s outcomes.

2 Likes

If both LSU and OSU lose and still are in the playoff we ought to just get rid of the whole charade that conference play and championships even matter and write in the same chosen ones every year.

3 Likes

Before conference championships - Seeding so far is LSU, OSU, Clemson, and Georgia

If LSU loses, expect that CFP won’t want a rematch in the semifinals, so the seeding would be something like OSU, Clemson, Georgia, LSU

CFP right now is only a glorified marketing beauty contest.

3 Likes

LSU should be a lock for a berth (as should Ohio State).

If Georgia beats LSU, both will be in and teams like Utah or Oklahoma (who have to take care of their own opponents this weekend) will need to hope for Clemson to be upset.

At least unlike the bubble teams that miss March Madness and go to the NIT, if Utah beats Oregon and doesn’t quite make the playoffs, a Rose Bowl appearance is an attractive consolation prize.

2 Likes

To be fair, I’d probably put in LSU as well. A loss in a conference title is not a killer. Also, acting like the Conf playoffs are part of the playoff is just weird. This is the Best 4 and not the Best 4 Conference Champions.

I agree with what you said but if it’s about what people want to see many wouldn’t choose a Utah, Baylor etc etc. People want to see the best talent and judging by the recruits and NFL players that does tend to be out of the SEC.

Trust me. I don’t want to see two conference rivals in either. Helps their recruiting.

I’d say LSU should be out. Who have they even played? They would have lost to the first decent team they came up against. And, late in the season, which should count for more.

2 Likes

Three Top 11 teams not a strong enough resume for you?

I Understand the POV. We just disagree. It is possible for a Conference to hold more than one top four team. You may not want a rematch but I would watch two top 4 teams play over and over.

I know you’ve seen my idea. I really think the only workable situation is a 16 team with all 10 conf champs and 6 at large. First round home games to higher seed. It’s the best solution

I’m game for whatever. More football is a blessing. Not a curse.

I know we could go back and forth on it but the idea of hosting a home game in December during. Tournament would be Bananas. Even if it’s the worst G5 Champion you are playing a team that can upset a P5

I actually can’t envision a scenario where someone isn’t left out and crying foul this weekend. Either LSU loses and two SEC teams get in, which leaves both Pac-12 and Big XII out, or Utah gets in leaving Oklahoma out in the cold, or Oklahoma gets in leaving Utah on the outside…again. No matter what, there’s going to be a lot of debate this post-season and that’s good IMHO because it will add pressure to expand the playoffs

1 Like

I think LSU and Ohio St. are in regardless of what happens Saturday, and they probably should be.

1 Like

Not a fan of the 16 team idea. First, there’s no need for a 16 team playoff to find the best team. Second, not every G5 conference needs to be represented (it’s more than obvious that many G5 conference champions would not be competitive for a national championship). Third, it would add two more weeks to a season that already added one more week for the current playoff structure. With 4 weeks of postseason play (5 counting conference championships), the postseason would account for nearly a third of the entire football season.

This would likely spell the end of out of conference match-ups during the regular season, as teams jettison the games to shorten their seasons. The end result: teams never (or rarely) play games outside their conference outside of postseason play.

The best option I’ve heard is a 6 team playoff. Top two seeds get a bye, and the slots go to the 5x P5 champions and 1 at large. If a P5 champion is a clearly crappy team, give their slot to another at large. Never allow two teams from the same conference into the playoffs.

This option adds one week to the year for two teams.

1 Like

Yuck. I can go 8, but 6 is ugly. A bye is too big a reward for two teams when there is usually no real difference between #1-#6. Give me 8, or give me 4 with a restriction to the 4 best conference champions (or just 4 with a restriction to no more than 1 per conference).

1 Like

My thoughts are an 11 team playoff (5 P5 conference champs and 6 at large bids, including the highest ranked group of 5 team). The first round involves the 6 at large teams playing each other, while the P5 conference champs get a bye. The three winners advance to an 8 team bracket after that.

The FCS is literally 16 teams. There is a format that is already built. Lol. Y’all really are making excuses to exclude G5 teams. It’s like the guy who just immigrated to the United States being Anti-Immigration because he already made it in the country. I can guarantee you a G5 champ can do damage. Last year only two of the 10 teams were not Top 25 and the other two were just on the outside which means they easily could play with the Top 25. Plus, those teams will play #1 and #2.

1 Like