The only "Fair" Playoff is a 16 team playoff. Thoughts?

So, I still like the 16 team playoff with Champs being Auto Qualify but that is less a reality. Listened to the SEC Commissioner today say they would advocate for 8 or 12 teams but only At Large Bids with zero Auto Qualify from Conference champions. The Conference realignment probably killed the 16 team playoff.

2 Likes

The only “fair” playoff is the one that makes the most money.

Period. End of story.

FTFO!

1 Like

Not true. Then again, y’all haven’t been relevant in a decade and a half so I understand your hope for a buy in option.

1 Like

8 teams is the perfect number. It’s enough to include every team that has a realistic shot. And it’s less disruptive to the bowl traditions.

There’s zero reason to go more than 8.

1 Like

Bowl Traditions? Those don’t exist anymore.

Also, there are probably 15 teams each year with the talent to win the title so there are reasons to move to 16 at large.

Respectfully disagree. There remains a ton of tradition in bowl games.

And be honest. Who has the “talent” to win Bama, Clemson, or tOSU? Are you serious? Maybe 5 other teams. Maybe. But not 13. And it’s only going to get worse.

1 Like

I favor a system that invites 4 or 5 conference champions (however many major conferences that survive) and 3 or 4 at large.

Let the conference championship be one of your playoff rounds. Let it mean something: win and you automatically advance. Lose and take your chance for an at large.

I go to the Rose Bowl about every other year. I adore it. But, let’s be honest with the conference realignment and the playoffs it’s kind of killed it. Last year was fantastic though.

Seriously though, there are 15 teams with the talent to win it all. 247Sports did a great breakdown:

I get what you are saying though. Weirdly, Clemson has fallen behind.