The most beautiful thing you've ever seen

I’ve put a lot of thought into this for some time now. This site has been an incredible resource for me for some time and I wanted to see what you thought about this subject. Albeit a bit personal, I thought it would be interesting to get some feedback.

When the windstorm hit last year, I was awoken by the powerful winds hitting the bedroom window of my highrise in Downtown Salt Lake City. I got up and observed what I think is the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen, and it changed my life in ways that I’m still trying to understand.

As an avid hiker, a goal of mine has always been to hike Lone Peak. The peak has an extremely sentimental meaning to me. The hike is on my bucket list. That early fall morning, I looked out my south-facing bedroom window and saw the clouds wrap around the peak, which was surrounded by the colors of the early morning sunrise. I stood there and observed it for a few minutes and jotted down some thoughts in my phone. I thought about taking a picture but I quickly realized that no camera I knew of would capture the experience I was having. I knew I’d only see something like that once. So I just watched.

From that point on, my life changed in ways that I couldn’t have comprehended. But that day I saw a certain beauty I have found to be exceptionally rare. I think about what happened that morning every day, and it truly motivates me to live the best life I can.

I thought I’d share this quote:

Beauty is a form of Genius --is higher , indeed, than Genius , as it needs no explanation. It is one of the great facts of the world, like sunlight, or springtime, or the reflection in the dark waters of that silver shell we call the moon. It cannot be questioned. It has divine right of sovereignty."

-Oscar Wilde

I’m fascinated by beautiful things. I try to find the beauty in every day that I live. I think this could be an amazing thread. I want to know about the beautiful things you’ve seen in your lives. I just think it’s so important that we share those experiences if possible. I think they remind us that we’re alive. With the eclectic group we have here, I think a thread like this would be pretty neat. It requires a certain amount of vulnerability, I know. But I thought it was at least worth a shot.

Well done. That was beautiful.

1 Like

The sky after 80 or so days submerged.

2 Likes