Settlement in McCluskey lawsuit to be announced today

14 million. The school pays 3 mil. Insurance takes up the rest. I’m so disappointed in my Alma mater. They should have paid far more.

3 Likes
1 Like

They are a government non-profit with an important mission. I think 3 million with the McClusky’s becoming wealthy beyond imagination is okay. If the point is deterrence, the message has been sent.

2 Likes

McCloskeys are donating it all.

And no, I don’t think it’s that much at all since some of this settlement is going to benefit the U with a new indoor track facility.

3 Likes

I think $14 million is a lot of money. I don’t know anything about civil suits, so maybe I’m off. Maybe $14 million is very little for this kind of thing. At any rate, it was a settlement, so the McClusky’s in theory felt like it was enough.

1 Like

The school itself is only paying three. And settlement is rarely about what’s just or fair. There are a host of economic considerations and likelihood of success on the merits concerns. And legally speaking the McCluskeys has a tough road ahead.

1 Like

I hate this story so much. If people had just done their jobs…if cops had just done the bare minimum…none of this happens. And the U’s response has been…smh. Embarrassing.

3 Likes

disband the U’s police dept and incorporate it within the Salt Lake City police dept.

I don’t want to see another incident where the U is woefully unprepared to handle a situation similar to Lauren’s.

3 Likes

I’m not sure I see enough evidence to convince me SLCPD has their act together to make a noticeable difference. I don’t disagree that UUPD screwed up and has issues, but the new chief seems to be working hard to clean it up.

1 Like

that’s a solid point.

I just recall that the U’s police dept. didn’t have the information it needed about the stalker/murdered in sufficient time because the two dept’s were separate entities. That’s been a police problem everywhere ever since Andy and Barney were checking fishing licenses back in Mayberry (that’s the depth of my police knowledge :slight_smile: )

I just looked this up.

"Oct. 19-22: Security video shows Rowland at various campus locations, apparently seeking McCluskey. Over the weekend, McCluskey sends three screenshots to campus police, “showing Rowland’s criminal history and his offender details.”

This was the day before she was murdered. As incompetent as the police force is, at this point there is no excuse.

4 Likes