Sep 11th Instate Game Thread

The hippos are up - there seems to be some intrigue around this game, if Utah wins again they’ll be required by law to rename the field in LES, “Whitthingham Field”.

My instate college friends seem both emboldened and a little hurt that Whittingham called it the instate game, they always seem a bit like a bitter jilted former lover with him… because they are. Can we get 10?

I know I should want BYU to win tomorrow so that it’ll look better for us when we beat them. However, the bigger part of me wants BYU to get spanked by a crap Arizona team and go 0-5 against the P12 this year. :slight_smile:

Unless BYU somehow comes out looking an unbeatable juggernaut tomorrow, I think we’ll likely come out of that game with a closer-than-it-should-have-been 7-10 point win. Naturally, every Zoob will say they are the better team, and the howls of “wait until next year” will ring anew.

And as always, I’ll be happy to get that game behind us so we don’t have to deal with those clowns for another year.

2 Likes

And the howls about how the game isn’t played “in November, when it’s supposed to be played”

I just wish somebody, anybody, would beat them. I get tired of the same old team beating them every time (that team being byu-provo)

3 Likes

Actually, we wouldn’t have to deal with the clowns until 2024, if the future schedules are correct.

4 Likes

I LOVE the BYU game! My favorite game all year, before the season starts!

1 Like

It’s the game that has give us our highest highs and lowest lows. Nothng like a rivalry game. I’m already feeling the rivalry week nerves.

3 Likes

Me too! This is the one game that is not, in the least, fun for me to watch. I’m jittery the whole game and I get way too emotional about stupid stuff. But that’s the beauty of rivalry games.

I am excited to see how we win this one. We’ve done it in every which way possible in the last decade (blocked fg as time expires, stuffed at the 2 yard line as time expires, crown rushing on the field too early, true beatdowns, getting up 35 then letting them think they are back in it, letting them get up big before the backup QB leads us to victory). Maybe we’ll try winning on a last second FG (ghost of Yergeson?) or we’ll try to win without ever throwing the ball?

2 Likes

I like to remind my byu friends that every game in this series is close and that over the past decade has been within 6 TD’s or less

12 Likes

Haha. Yes, the old “well, the last ten years have all been one score games!” excuse.

1 Like

Utah by 21+. Book. It.

4 Likes

I always like to remind them that the last time BYU beat Utah by more than one TD was 1996.

9 Likes

Die hard BYU fans are like Facebook users - they are all over 50 years old. So 1996 doesn’t seem like forever ago to them. They just think “Oh yeah, 1996, I remember I was out of college and just starting at the bottom of the Nu Skin pyramid. I’m still at the bottom of the Nu Skin pyramid, so 1996 wasn’t very long ago.”

11 Likes

…and the sound of gut busters can be heard emanating from the practice facility…

Lots of stuff to clean up before next Saturday. Also, what are the bets on another weather delay? We had one the last I’ve we played there in their giant lightning rod of a stadium.

4 Likes

That’s just because of all the blasphemy that takes place in tinker toy stadium.

3 Likes

We play both of these teams this year, so whatever happens is a wash for us. You can root against both teams equally guilt free.

3 Likes

Kind of like this low fat dessert?

1 Like

A contradiction of terms. Just like jumbo shrimp.

1 Like

Another …pot roast.

1 Like

That’s correct, we upgraded our OOC schedule for the next couple years… not playing those assclowns again until 2024.

But with any luck the Alliance will prompt us to cancel the currently scheduled games anyway. I say good riddance, it’s way past time to sunset this “rivalry”.

9 Likes

This will be a fun game to watch. In all honesty, it’s been many years since this game has generated more excitement than a key conference match up for me. Nonetheless, let’s bury 'em and move on to the more important games.

3 Likes