Play By Play guys like Bill Marcroft

Post that on the “cool photos” thread then shut it down because that is the coolest photo in the history of cool photos.

3 Likes

You were on a mission from God.

"Elwood: What kind of music do you usually have here at Bob’s Country Bunker?

Claire: Oh, we got both kinds. We got country and western.”

5 Likes

I think I need to find the one from that day with the two ladies who must have been at least 15 years older than us dressed as Playboy Bunnies. Then, again, I don’t want anyone to poke their own eyes out over it.

2 Likes

Thank you for the correction, I forgot.

2 Likes

I got from a fairly reliable source that the team didn’t like Marcroft. When he would show up at practice, the coaches and players would all scatter because they didn’t want to talk to him.

And the TV show that he did on Sunday nights after football and basketball games with the coach (Pimm in the case of basketball), none of the players ever wanted to be a guest. They all said he was smarmy and made stupid comments. Case in point…during the first game of Peter Williams’ career, he went into the game in the last minute and made one free throw. After the game Marcroft congratulated him on a new career high (and he wasn’t joking).

4 Likes

Ok. I need a 30 for 30 on this weirdo. Did he collect ferrets? He seems like he would.

He comes off like the at by play guys from Semi Pro:

1 Like

This is fantastic:

Local broadcast>National broadcast

1 Like

That was an impressive combination of excitement, description and then giving the moment some time to breathe. Solid performance.

Let it breathe like a Vin Scully call.

1 Like

Brent Musberger still does the radio play by play for the Las Vegas Raiders. He has to be close to 80 years old, but still sounds great. I was listening to him last night as he announced a Raiders wide receiver catch a deep pass and go out of bounds at the Charger 13 yard line. And then in the next breath he proceeds to tell us the Raiders have a first down at the 23 yard line. It reminded me of this thread.

At one point he mentioned that Derek Carr hands off to the tailback on the right side, interception! It was like he summoned the ghost of Macroft without the check it.

2 Likes

He was probably thinking about his parlay.

1 Like

It’s either that or he was doing the Harry Doyle…only in football.:wink:

1 Like