PAC 12 Coaching Carousel musings…

Good news for Kelly, he’s the 4th coach this century for LSU. All three of the prior coaches won a National Title at LSU. Also, angry catholic white dudes are pretty on brand for LSU. He just has to get used to seasoning and heat on his food.

IMG_5214

Shouldn’t Urban Meyer be Urban Meyer in your meme?

1 Like

Honestly, it could be either way and work.

Fickell to ND…write it down.

1 Like

I wrote down Kiffin to Notre Dame. It’s that kind of year.

Possible great news for me:

Agree, losing O’Brian is a net add for Alabama

So you agree running plays toward a backup right tackle instead of your future first round LT is not a good idea? Good to know I am not insane.

1 Like

15 Million while paying a Coach O buyout? Somebody is committing insurance fraud in Baton Rouge.

3 Likes

The money being thrown around this year is ridiculous. 50% of coaches have to lose each week, yet salaries just keep sky rocketing. Sure makes me glad for the bang that we get for our buck out of whitingham.

3 Likes

Funny how people said NIL would ruin college athletes. Coaches with no loyalty and exploding salaries seems to be worse.

Brian Kelly went from super elderly and conservative Catholics to this:

The biggest reason by far that I cannot be bothered with pro sports anymore (beyond MSL/Serie A/etc) is that here in North America the Owners of franchises have ZERO loyalty even to faithful/decently productive markets. THe flight of Baltimore/Cleveland in NFL and Seattle in NBA are the primary examples that come to mind… What the ever-loving f*** is an NBA franchise doing in OKLAHOMA? There was zero prior major league history there. Ugh… So yeah, college coaches, but pro owners are a huge problem.

No offense but you bring up Europe with very old established cities. This is America. Our country is still young and growing compared. Very unlikely you will have a boomtown in Europe. Our cities have grown more recently than say Newcastle. It’s also an unfair comparison because, Premiere has relegation to Championship, and so forth. We are a pro-level country. So comparing to “Football” is unfair. League expansion has watered down the product so that’s why there are moves.

If a NBA G-League could make the regular NBA or a AAA team could become MLB then this would make sense.

2 Likes

Isn’t this all a consequence of the early signing period? Not only the money to get the savior coach, but to get them early enough to sway early recruits. The early signing period was meant for athletes to lock in their commitment and move forward, but the unintended consequence appears to be this. The obvious remedy is to get rid of early signing period (Dec 15-17?) and just have the NLI day in Feb.

It would be nice if all coaching changes happened only after Jan 4th (or whenever all the bowls are done). You can fire but you can’t hire/announce (although then it’d just be rumors and distractions and lying coaches for a month).

I’d be ok with the relegation and movement up in pro-sports. It would require a rearrangement of the sporting infrastructure. I think it would be a rough transition for many teams. I don’t want to derail this thread for that type of discussion. Just thought it was an interesting thought.

Oh, I agree. It would make franchises try to compete. Many seem happy to get a mediocre product on the field and charge their fans.

Yes, recruiting is so important in college football that getting your coach in place as so as possible is vital, but I don’t think that is what is driving the soaring salaries. The money is coming from billion dollar TV contracts and the willingness of boosters to write blank checks to the top 5-10 schools. Then it just becomes a domino effect from there on the rest of college football trying to keep up. It really makes it all that more impressive when G5 teams, like Cincinnati, are able to do what they have the last few years.

Agree. Timing is perhaps recruit signing. $ is just bonkers, but it’s the arms race and also supply and demand. There just aren’t that many ‘elite’ coaches to go around and to make a splash with donors and recruits, they are spending money to get (or keep) their coach. These guys better deliver, but if they don’t they are set (they were set) for life. But the money is just an ego thing - #winning drives them. They are so busy with the job that they don’t have time to spend all that money (now, their family might …).

I have seen a lot of people talking about the Declan Sullivan incident, but let’s be clear, you could have an argument to add Lizzy Seberg to the Kelly body count. Too much we don’t know about how Kelly (and the university) tried to protect and cover up for the football player accused. Since she was dead, not much the prosecutors could do to get to the facts.

1 Like

Post edited

He has a good thing going at Baylor (which is also loaded and can pay a good coach). Maybe he just likes where he is right now.