Omicron and the Rose Bowl – I’m worried

I agree. Way, way too many bowls. I mean, I guess it’s nice for fans to get to watch their teams on TV one more time. But no one attends these third- and fourth-tier bowls. I think having 20 or so bowls would be sufficient. Maybe make the requirement eight wins. I don’t know.

1 Like

But, but 8 wins in G5 is easier than in the SEC :wink: . A 6-6 P5 team can surely beat an 8 or 9 win G5 :wink:

I don’t disagree - the threshold should be higher somehow, but with bowls being exhibitions, they will lead the way in taking whomever for the TV contract, hosting a fun event, etc. Maybe it should at least be 6 wins against FBS teams. If 80/130ish FBS teams are making bowls and the requirement is 6 wins (6-6), the only way 15 of those teams make it is with an FCS win (you can count 1).

These ESPN owned bowls are the culprit and you know it’s mainly to have something to show on Dec weekdays. The payouts are generally low, the teams generally lose money (but it is a ‘reward’ for the athletes), there aren’t that many in attendance, but ESPN makes enough money off the ads. I hope the practice of sticking a ticket allotment to the schools has ended (they had to pay no matter what).

I like the bowls that are community driven like the Sun bowl. They put on the event, they invite 2 teams and host them, showing them a couple cool team activities. Locals go. But I guess it can only happen in places like El Paso where that’s something that can excite you. I grew up in Albuquerque and no one I know goes to the NM bowl (except for a very few die hard football fans and UNM donors). Just seems like that type of bowl has disappeared. It’s a nostalgic relic fading into the past with monetization of amateurism and the drive towards BCS/CFP or even NY6 or bust.

1 Like

Coaches like bowl games because of the extra practice. Coach Mac once said that the extra practice was a huge step toward the next season.

1 Like

If it’s a practice thing for the coaches, allow the non participants to continue practicing until the season is over-over.

1 Like

I grew up in El Paso, and this comment is spot-on. All the high school marching bands in the City did the Sun Bowl parade, and there was a marching band field competition associated with the Sun Bowl.

They also recruited local high school students to play in the half time show during the Sun Bowl game.

It was a great community tradition.

3 Likes

See? Now that’s fun.

2 Likes

Funny we don’t see any “gear count” postings from Cooter-Board. Bet there’s a lot of Utes representing at Disneyland

I did Disneyland when we went to the Freedom Bowl in 94. That was a fine once in a lifetime experience and it’ll be ok not even thinking about it this year. My sole focus is on making my flight and seeing the Utes win the Rose Bowl. All other things shall cease to matter until the weekend is over and I’m home and hopefully decontaminated from travel :grimacing:

And anyone going to Disneyland should watch Escape from Tomorrow…but not with the kids

Unless the argument is that the bowl system is keeping us from an FCS 24 team playoff, then who really cares. Have a thousand bowl games if the market allows. If a blue blood wants to decline a game. Let ‘em . USC, Boise & Penn State declined bowl games last year. If you don’t want to watch a third tier game. Don’t. Most kids, especially non-NFL bound players, enjoy being doted on and want one more game even if it’s in a Boise snowstorm.

3 Likes

I envision both of you two getting kicked out of the Disney Princesses breakfast for asking for seconds of bacon strips and asking the princesses if they’d like to take a ride in your pumpkin carriage

2 Likes

If it is Omicron, isn’t that supposedly very mild, like a cold. Per

Since we are talking about Disneyland. I grew up in Southern California. Somewhat of a tradition/fad among boys in the 60’s was to steal the apple from the Snow White ride. My best friend and I were about 10 years old. We took one trip through the ride as a reconnaissance run. There were three apples that appeared throughout the ride. We then took our attack run. We approached the instance of the first apple, I slid out of the car, grabbed at the apple and forcefully pulled, it was not going anywhere, seeming to be industrial grade construction and anchored very securely. I was unable to make an attempt at the second apple. Finally, the third apple. A witch descended from a fireplace and held out the apple that was suspend from a string/wire. I grabbed it and removed it with ease, seemingly too easy, thinking it might be a possible setup, activating a trip wire, and placed it in my pocket. A few seconds later we exited the dark and turned the corner and looked down the track at the ride operator with guilty looks on our face. We ran off with our prize. You may not know but Disneyland has a serious presence of undercover security. We kept seeing this same man shadowing us here and there over next few minutes. Fast forward several decades. A few days after I got married and moved to Idaho my wife and I were merging and consolidating our personal goods, she inquired about the apple and I told her the story. A short time later I came home from work and she informed me that seeing that the apple was stolen goods she took the liberty of shipping it back to Disneyland.

3 Likes

For UCLA, the Holiday Bowl is a chore.

How many players on a team? Over a 100?

Except it’s not a joke…

3 Likes

That has already happened.

5 Likes