Need some ideas for Christmas Dinner

I grew up with ‘breakfast casserole’ for Christmas morning. Sooooo… good. Then as an adult someone started talking about egg casserole and how gross it was and when they described it I was like, “Oh yeah, that is breakfast casserole and it is awesome!”

So I just thought they were nuts or something. Then I started learning how many people don’t like egg casserole and I thought it was mass hysteria. Then we had a work party that was supposed to be a breakfast… and people were supposed to bring their egg casseroles.

Blughhh… yeah egg casserole is the worst. So pro-tip, don’t eat that garbage, have my breakfast casserole instead, it is actually good.

3 Likes

Recipe?

I’m with chrisrenut. I love eggs, and I have had very good breakfast casseroles. I could also imagine someone doing it badly. So what’s your secret sauce, so to speak?

Frittata with Green Chile’s, you Nancy’s.

4 Likes

Breakfast CasseROCKERole
(I just named it that)

Ingredients:

• 8 slices of bread, cubed (when our kids were small we would actually just cut off their crusts and save them in the freezer for this)
  • 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (1/2 lb)
  • 4 eggs
  • 2.5 cups milk (2 cups mixed with eggs, 1/2 cup mixed with cream of mushroom soup)
  • 1 can (10.5 oz) cream of mushroom soup
  • 8-12 sausage links (we often do the pre-cooked ones)
  • 3/4 teaspoon dry mustard

Directions:

Put bread cubes in the bottom of a 9x13 baking pan (we usually do a glass plan, metal seems to burn it on the edges a bit). Sprinkle with cheddar cheese.

Brown sausage links, drain and cut into fourths and put on top of cheese.

Beat eggs, milk and dry mustard. Pour mixture over the pan evenly and refrigerate overnight.

Out of the refrigerator, dilute cream of mushroom soup with 1/2 cup milk and pour over pan.

Bake at 300º for 1.5 hours uncovered.

The interesting thing about this recipe, in my opinion is it is actually BETTER as leftovers. It is good piping hot out of the oven, but even better when it has cooled a bit (so warm)… and then even better the next day reheated.

Also, I’m reading my wife’s almost unreadable recipe and she put on it “broccoli optional” … which what? This is my mom’s recipe and literally never had it with broccoli and sounds… awful. Maybe that is where people are screwing things up - putting veggies etc. Also, pretenders like to put in too much egg. This is cheesy and bread-y and sausage-y and some mushrooms and my favorite Christmas thing.

Oh and for Christmas Eve - Rouladen.

I haven’t had to think about it for the last 20+ years. We go my brother-in-law’s house where there is prime rib from his restaurant (Midvale Mining Cafe) and desserts from my step-daughter’s bakery (Carlucci’s). It’s worked well except when the other BIL tried to steal the tira misu.

3 Likes

Thanks, but the Cream of Mushroom soup disqualifies this for me. That shouldn’t be anywhere near breakfast food for my tastes.

2 Likes

Fools mock, but they shall mourn.

With all this posting about casseroles, shouldn’t we expect some BYU transfers soon?

6 Likes

Sherried mushrooms on toast points for Christmas breakfast. Christmas dinner is quite often King Crab. Amazingly we’ve found the big 10 pound box from Costco is the best. Super easy to prepare and everyone loves it.

Also, seeking further clarification - are you against mushrooms in omelets? Protesting the likes of biscuits and gravy?

Ham, sausage, and cheese go in omelets. And then top it with hollandaise sauce and avocado slices. Your omelet is done! No need for any more ingredients.

I’m against fungus going into my mouth in general.

1 Like

I’m not a fan of fungus in a easily visible form. I don’t like the texture, period, cooked or not. But having worked with it for so many years it has its place. It adds a level of savory flavor that you can’t get from many places. You can try it by finding some mushroom powder and sprinkling it on your proteins. You’ll find a depth of flavor that you didn’t realize that you were missing. Another thing you can try, is creating a fungus puree and adding it to soups or sauces, or even as a smear on top of your proteins. You’ll get a similar result.

Just a few cents of ideas for the pluses of fungus, from a non fungus fan.

I used to not like mushrooms, and maybe it is old age, but they can be fantastic. Sautéed in the juices when cooking a steak, as a substitute for pasta and most of all mixed in with sausage, bread and cheese with an egg binder… sheer perfection.

There of course is no accounting for taste. At least you all are Ute fans.

1 Like

I’ve tried mushrooms in various forms. I worked at an Italian restaurant in college, and sautéing mushroom in garlic and butter smelled fantastic and I could almost see the appeal. But then the the texture was slimy and chewy, which felt gross.

Sometimes you can’t avoid them, so I metaphorically plug my nose and eat them.

1 Like

When I was a kid it felt like eating slugs, so I get it on the texture thing. In fact, I’m of the opinion that the majority of people’s taste really comes down to texture.

I’m surprised at people having a problem with mushrooms, I’ve always loved them in any form. Mushrooms sautéed in butter, and a little garlic, as a side or on top of a medium rare filet mignon, is fabulous.

My wife makes the best quiche in the world, and most of you will be surprised that one of her regular modifications is to use extremely thinly sliced mushrooms in place of the dough for the crust. I like it better than even the lightest, best traditional crust, and so does everyone to whom we’ve ever served this option. It’s much healthier as well.

Sounds like it would be unpopular with this group.

1 Like

Nope. Tomato, green onion, marinated artichoke hearts and cream cheese. Sausage on the side.

1 Like

i was with you until the cream cheese.

1 Like