Need some ideas for Christmas Dinner

Recipe?

I’m with chrisrenut. I love eggs, and I have had very good breakfast casseroles. I could also imagine someone doing it badly. So what’s your secret sauce, so to speak?

Frittata with Green Chile’s, you Nancy’s.

4 Likes

I haven’t had to think about it for the last 20+ years. We go my brother-in-law’s house where there is prime rib from his restaurant (Midvale Mining Cafe) and desserts from my step-daughter’s bakery (Carlucci’s). It’s worked well except when the other BIL tried to steal the tira misu.

3 Likes

Thanks, but the Cream of Mushroom soup disqualifies this for me. That shouldn’t be anywhere near breakfast food for my tastes.

2 Likes

With all this posting about casseroles, shouldn’t we expect some BYU transfers soon?

6 Likes

Sherried mushrooms on toast points for Christmas breakfast. Christmas dinner is quite often King Crab. Amazingly we’ve found the big 10 pound box from Costco is the best. Super easy to prepare and everyone loves it.

Ham, sausage, and cheese go in omelets. And then top it with hollandaise sauce and avocado slices. Your omelet is done! No need for any more ingredients.

I’m against fungus going into my mouth in general.

1 Like

I’m not a fan of fungus in a easily visible form. I don’t like the texture, period, cooked or not. But having worked with it for so many years it has its place. It adds a level of savory flavor that you can’t get from many places. You can try it by finding some mushroom powder and sprinkling it on your proteins. You’ll find a depth of flavor that you didn’t realize that you were missing. Another thing you can try, is creating a fungus puree and adding it to soups or sauces, or even as a smear on top of your proteins. You’ll get a similar result.

Just a few cents of ideas for the pluses of fungus, from a non fungus fan.

I’ve tried mushrooms in various forms. I worked at an Italian restaurant in college, and sautéing mushroom in garlic and butter smelled fantastic and I could almost see the appeal. But then the the texture was slimy and chewy, which felt gross.

Sometimes you can’t avoid them, so I metaphorically plug my nose and eat them.

1 Like

I’m surprised at people having a problem with mushrooms, I’ve always loved them in any form. Mushrooms sautéed in butter, and a little garlic, as a side or on top of a medium rare filet mignon, is fabulous.

My wife makes the best quiche in the world, and most of you will be surprised that one of her regular modifications is to use extremely thinly sliced mushrooms in place of the dough for the crust. I like it better than even the lightest, best traditional crust, and so does everyone to whom we’ve ever served this option. It’s much healthier as well.

Sounds like it would be unpopular with this group.

1 Like

Nope. Tomato, green onion, marinated artichoke hearts and cream cheese. Sausage on the side.

1 Like

i was with you until the cream cheese.

1 Like

If money is no object, creme fraiche mixed and cooked with the eggs is divine.

Probably not this group, mostly just me.

We have been having Christmas Dinner with my in-laws since the year my wife and I were married (not admitting how long ago that was). My FIL passed away recently, and we had to move my MIL into an assisted living facility (Parkinson’s and Lewy body dementia :frowning: ). My wife is planning the traditional dinner, and we will have members of the family who are in SLC over - I’m afraid she’ll cry the whole afternoon while preparing it…

Artichoke dip, with small slices of French bread hors d’oeuvre
Honey Glazed Ham
Baked beans (from an old family recipe)
Romain salad with candied nuts, sliced kiwi, and poppy seed dressing
Home-made sour dough bread

I was in Paris once on business and had what I still consider the best meal of my life. Since the political issues with France in 2003, no one seems to want to acknowledge anything good about the French (freedom fries :frowning: ) but they do know how to cook, eat and drink. Most of my my favorite French restaurants are now gone, so, many years ago, I started preparing that meal for my wife and myself every New Year’s eve - preparation starts at noon, meal lasts the entire evening (not this year - we’ll be in a hotel in LA).

(warning - this is NOT a low fat/cholesterol meal - I have it once a year, and exercise double a few days before and after)

hors d’oeuvre:

• fois gras with crotons (goose liver pate with toast points)
  • glass of Champagne

salad

• wedge salad
  • glass of Chablis

main:

• medium-rare filet mignon, au poivre vert, (brandy, green peppercorn, cream sauce)
  • duchess potatoes
  • haricot vert (small tender green beans, shallot, sautéed in butter)
  • glass of Cabernet Franc

desert:

• Crème brûlée
  • Espresso

digestif:

• glass of XO Cognac

New year’s dinner is always at home, with whatever extended family is available to join us. We’ve been creating the main course, black eyed peas and ham, over rice, from scratch since about 5 years after we were married when we heard (after a really bad year) that this meal on New Year’s day brought a year of good luck - it usually works :slight_smile:

I love to cook, and the holidays usually allow for me to allocate a little more of my time to doing so.

1 Like

Me too.

1 Like

Sliced portobello mushrooms in my spaghetti sauce. Also sliced black olives, diced sweet peppers, diced onion, chopped garlic, petite diced tomatoes, and tomato sauce.

Of course it has Colosimo Mild Italian sausage for the meat. :wink:

1 Like

Interesting idea. Although I can see them incorporated into a traditional crust just as easily.

1 Like