Miles Garrett's behavior is inexcusable

I think prosecution might be in order.

Rudolph was lucky not to escape serious injury from that. Yikes!

He could’ve been killed.

They gave him an indefinite suspicion (a few other players got suspensions of a few game(s))

Really a very nasty incident

To play devil’s advocate here…yes that was ridiculous. But watch the replay from the endzone camera. that qb is no less of a scum bag and should be suspended as well. he was the first one to attempt to pull off a helmet and chased after Garrett after they were pulled apart, then threw a fit like a spoiled child after getting hit.

Granted, but Rudolph did have a hand in escalating it. Even after his helmet was removed he charged Garrett and put himself in a position to even be hit in the head.

2 Likes

I wasn’t trying to justify Garrett’s actions’ there is no justification for that, but I am pointing out that Rudolph does bear some responsibility. In fact you can see that Rudolph is actually the one who starts pulling on Garrett’s helmet.

3 Likes

“you were right! the taco won!” - Hot Rod

In the criminal justice world this is classic “victim blaming”

3 Likes

Oh BS. Recognizing that both parties in an altercation bear some responsibility is not victim blaming, it’s reality. If Rudolph was standing on a corner and someone walked up and hit him in the head out of the blue and you blamed him for standing there, that would be victim blaming. If two guys are in a bar fight just because one guy started it, doesn’t mean the other guy isn’t partly responsible if he swings back.

2 Likes

You’re ignoring the use of a weapon.

Hitting someone in the head with a blunt object, after you started a fight, isn’t a “fight” nor is it self defense.

You’re trying to excuse the escalation by placing blame on someone else.

You can try and spin it all you want, but Garrett is the one who chose to use a weapon. On the street corner he’d be in jail for aggravated assault.

4 Likes

I’m in the minority here but I look at it this way:

1. No excuse for what Garrett did… that’s going too far.
  2. Rudolph is not only not innocent, but I have to say he’s not that far from what Rudolph did. Sure he didn’t try to hit him with a helmet, but he was trying to take Garrett’s helmet off. Why was he trying to do that and what was going to happen next? Was he going to hit him with the helmet? Was he going to throw punches at his helmetless face? I have no idea, but I can guess it wasn’t going to be good and we won’t know because he never got the helmet off.
  3. Someone had to be the bigger person in this altercation and no one stepped up. It just kept escalating.
2 Likes

Instead of speculating about what could have happened, I’m content to examine what actually happened, aggravated assault.

2 Likes

I’m OK with that ranking although I’d probably go to 4 for QB grabbing Garrett’s helmet, because that was the start of the helmet issues, and 2 for him going after Garrett (although that is probably an 8 on the stupid meter.)

BTW Samuel L. Jackson says it’s all Rudolph’s fault, and I can’t go there either.

1 Like

Well then, from henceforth he shall be known as Samuel L Jackass.

So here are the announced actions:

Myles Garrett - Suspended indefinitely (about Right)
Pouncy - suspended 3 games for kicking Garrett while he was being held down (OK)
The other Browns player with the unpronouncable name - 1 game for pushing Rudolph down (probably too light)
Rudolph will be fined.
Both teams fined $250K each.

I’m with you. I just don’t want to make the other guy out to be a saint in the equation.

1 Like

There is a lot of skepticism surrounding this claim.