Long time Utah fan no longer with us

My uncle Leland Kent Wimmer passed away at the age of 93 a few nights ago. He served in the Army during the Korean War where he unfortunately lost his eyesight. He returned home, attended law school at the University of Utah, and worked many years in Salt Lake as an attorney. He was a lifetime Utah fan and not being able to watch and see the games, he listened to radio announcers including Bill Howard, Bill Marcroft, and Bill Riley describe the action. He would often call our home after we had returned from attending a Ute game and would have as much insight as we did as to how the outcome was decided from simply listening to the radio.

Will be thinking of him during the Moment of Loudness on Saturday

That’s quite a life he led. My condolences to you and your family. May the memories of him be a blessing to you and your family at this time.

1 Like

Nice story; sorry for your loss. Did he live in the lower Avenues by chance in the 60s or 70s?

I grew up in the Avenues and went to Bryant, and East, with several Wimmer kids - I could be misremembering this, but I think that their father was blind…

2 Likes

You may perhaps have known the family. Pretty sure all of the kids went to East. They lived on R Street (2 homes about a block apart). Father lived there until about a year ago. Kids were Wayne, Scott, Christine, Kathleen, Linda and Stephen.

2 Likes

Small world, that is the family I remember (not a real common name). Scott was a class mate of mine at Bryant and East.