Just wanted to start my day off on the right foot

Thanks Rocker. I will check this out soon

I think this is a reasonable example (warts-and-all) of synergistic playing. You can clearly hear when Bobby stops playing in the first minute and then comes back in. Notice the plucked tones he splices in there throughout. Both of those guys finger picked a lot while keeping tempo.

For those who appreciate history and metallurgy, this song is about the story and casting of Americaā€™s Liberty Bell

Listening to REM today. Any kindred spirits?

1 Like

Oh yeah!
Loved Green, Document, Murmur

1 Like

Great albums. They were kind of patchy in the 90s, but ā€œNew Adventures in Hi-Fiā€ is a great record. Their first three records are the most compelling.

I have been trying to teach this song to the new band Iā€™m in, with only marginal success. Itā€™s my favorite Dead song.

Whatā€™s the hardest part for those guys to learn?

The drummer is struggling with the rhythm stop/triplet break at ā€œquite properā€ and the lead singer canā€™t figure out the lyrics. He has that problem in a lot of songs. May drive me out. I can do the Jerry parts really well, though. Itā€™s fun.

Those boys had a lot of non standard tempos. Yeah, theyā€™re not Jeff Porcaro, but 11/8, 7/8, and other such meters requires chops and feel.

1 Like

The Allman Brothers also did several nice tunes with unusual meters. Led Zeppelin did as well, and I have to admit that some of theirs are challenging, partially due to mixing meters with only a few odd bars.

I dig it.
Iā€™m pretty sure this is in an odd meter, but I coul be wrong.

So awesome though

3 Likes

Rocker, I want to give you a star, but I would be somehow promoting USCā€¦

This is specifically one of the tunes I was thinking about. As I count it (and Iā€™m no expert) this is largely a 4/4 tune, but the signature riff is a couple of bars of 4/4, and then a bar of 7/4 or or more likely 7/8. I could NEVER have been their drummer :slight_smile:

Interesting stuffā€¦ They were always a good group, that I enjoyed listening to, but never the stuff I was most fond of and never the stuff any of the bands I played in covered.

1 Like

Lou Reed was a great rhythm guitar player and writer. All of his best work is driven by his rhythm guitar.

Sweet Jane
Dirty Boulevard
Waiting for the Man
etc.

2 Likes

The whole New York album is brilliant
Always loved the song Perfect Day as well

THAT IS AWESOME!

Someones a big Radiohead fan.

So, I donā€™t really care if these guys look a lot like Zeppelin; because I think they sound really goood.
I also love the vibe, the musicianship, and that fact that three of them are brothers and that they love each other, and have been playing for years & years.

Love the bare feet on the bass player too. :wink:

Yeah, but those first couple bitesā€¦

Great tune - had forgotten completely about him. Thanks for the reminder.

Not that their music is at all similar, but this made me think of another (not too well known) musician/album that I remember from about the same time frame:

Taj Mahal - Ainā€™t Gwine To Whistle Dixie (live)

Thereā€™s a spectacular guitar solo about mid way through by John Hall, one of my favorite players of the time, who has the distinction of eventually becoming a US Congressman.

Both tunes have my day off on the right foot!