Just wanted to start my day off on the right foot

I always loved the fact that he never seems to make a misplaced note.
Doesn’t run scales add nauseum…
Not a lot of notes. The right notes with enough space to digest them.

One of the truly great rhythm guitarists.

So’s this guy…

1 Like

I grew up in this era, listening to rock in the late 60s, 70s, and early 80s, and am familiar with Pink Floyd.

I saw the original post and was reminded to wonder about why I never really bonded with Pink Floyd. Still not sure. I listened, enjoyed, but was not really WOWed, nor did I have a late in life musical epiphany.

Nice, minimalist, lead guitar - the comments by one commentator, about not-to-many-notes, certainly applies.

However, in reference to another comment, this is not elite “rhythm” guitar. Perhaps we’re speaking different languages.

1 Like

If you are familiar with their work, what’s your opinion on Bob Weir’s unique asymmetric playing style, extensive chords and harmony?
What other rythym guitarist rate?
As an example, I think Pete Townshend is a superlative rhythm guitar player - although I’m not super crazy about a lot of The Who’s stuff.

1 Like

Always liked Weir, and agree on Townsend - great rhythm guitar, but I too was not a big fan of the Who.

Frankly, most of the best rhythm guitarists I’ve ever heard where Jazz or Blues players, but in the rock idiom, and from that time frame, off the top of my head I would include these, in no particular order, and not necessarily because I was a fan of their bands::

Jimmy Page

Jimmy Hendrix

Joe Walsh

Ron Wood

Tom Fogerty

And now for a name that might surprise a lot of people - if you’re surprised, go back and give his stuff another listen:

John Lennon

My personal favorite, in Rock, from that era, has to be Keith Richards. In my mind, he defines Rock rhythm guitar.

1 Like

Good points!
No surprise on John. He always said “All I want to do is drive a band.” Words to that effect…
Bobby has said he emulated his chord phrasing off McCoy Tyner’s piano playing. Check out a video sometime, he’s got Jerry and Phil driving the melody and beat and he slices these artful off-center fills with style and sensitivity

1 Like

Lennon doesn’t get a lot of credit and anyone who’s tried playing triplets while singing a syncopated vocal at the same time realizes he did a lot of amazing work in that role.

3 Likes

Interesting… I love to hear about things by which musician are influenced.

Below is an example of some of the best guitar work ever done, IMO. Wes’ solo is absolutely outstanding guitar, but (if you can hear it on the poor quality Youtube audio) listen for the his comp work during the piano solo - unbelievable!

Wynton Kelly Trio (Wes Montgomery)_ Unit 7

2 Likes

I will have to check this out later, but thanks!

I did check it out and I enjoyed it very much. Thank you!
I have a very dear friend (violinist) who plays with this gypsy jazz quartet in Austin. He’s also an outstanding guitar player. I know it’s a different genre, but I thought you might enjoy it:

2 Likes

Wow! Really nice stuff. Haven’t heard anything like this for years. The guitarist’s single line stuff is very reminiscent of Django Reinhardt. Thanks! I’ll look for more of their work on YouTube.

Yeah, they are definitely inspired and influenced by Django. Tech guys who love their music…
Glad you enjoyed.

always liked this one from Weir with Bruce Hornsby

2 Likes

Evident that Bobby can keep amazing tempo while also tempering chords with melodic runs.
While I do prefer him most weaving in between the structures of more band members, this is a nice observation of his playing style.
I’m sure you’ve already checked out Wolf Brothers. That’s another opportunity to see Bobby in a more intimate setting

I agree that Keith Richards is very underrated rhythm guitar player and musician.

2 Likes

Great tune! Richards did this tune (as well as many others) in an open G tuning, that he supposedly learned from Ry Cooder (another exceptional guitarist, certainly not as well know). As a kid I worked really hard to learn a lot of Richards’ stuff, never knowing it was done in open G - they’re a lot harder in standard tuning.

Really nice tune, great guitar work by Weir. I wish the video was better; can’t tell for sure, but is that a Gibson L5?

Love it. Big Thom Yorke fan.