Jon Gruden ... deep sigh!

Why would I if I don’t know who he is?

K, I looked him up.

To answer your question: Yes.
I’ll bet his responses would surprise you. If not, then I’d be surprised.

1 Like

No, it’s very much used, at least in this part of NC. The “colorism” exists, and is rather strong here. One of my friends uses it rather frequently, he gets upset by what “light skinned” ***** get away with because they’re lighter colored. He doesn’t use the pejorative often around me, thankfully. He knows I don’t like the term, used by him or anyone else.

Personally I’d be happy to see many pejoratives retired permanently. I know in reality, that is not likely, they’ll get replaced by others.

2 Likes

Newton’s Third Law

There are a lot of ways to look at this, say 50 years ago. As one who believes people do have a capacity to change and become better people, I hope Gruden learns from this experience and becomes a better person.

I will say some of the stuff reported I hadn’t heard uttered or seen in conversational print by anyone since before the Reagan Administration. I am sure it has happened more recently than just Gruden, but I haven’t seen it in play…even in the Army.

I guess I was lucky to be around a better group of people.

3 Likes

“As ■■■■ rolls downhill it gains speed and more ■■■■ for maximum impact?”

1 Like

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

Right.

1 Like

So clever! So edgy!

As for Gruden being some sort of NFL scapegoat, you may want to take a look at all of things he said. It’s a lovely mix of sexism, racism, misogyny, homophobia, and general as*holery. He basically outed himself as a garbage human, and was nice enough to do so in writing for all to see.

I’m not so sure that “But who among us hasn’t sent a slew of bigoted emails?” is the stellar defense some seem to think it is.

8 Likes

Got to admit I’m on the fence with the Gruden firing. Nothing negative seems to appeared during his employment with the Raiders - right? Seems like players and staff liked him? On the other hand those emails are not acceptable. Period. Especially as the leader and face of the team. Having said that, I do wonder, is every middle aged white male in a position of power on notice for past behavior that’s not in line with today’s norms? I know I said and did things 25 years ago that I would never do today. Our society has changed and tolerance and acceptance have improved ( still a lot of work to do). Is it fair to judge a persons behavior from a very different time and place? And yes, I get Gruden’s emails are only 7 years ago but you get my point.

Honestly, I probably won’t read anything for a while, a week or two. I’d like to see if anything else comes out. The things I’ve seen lately classifying something as this-ism or that-ism is shocking to me.

As to being clever, I simply can’t keep up with all of the +’s.

That link has the exact language from Gruden’s emails. You could just read it and judge for yourself.

I will. Eventually. I promise.

I’m not 100% sold on tolerance and acceptance are in vogue today. But that’s a discussion for the politics area. But like you, I’ve said crap in the past that wouldn’t fly today. I’ve put stuff in an email that I wish I hadn’t, even if I was correct. What I’m getting at, is that there will always be people who are sensitive to words or phrases. What those are change over time. I hear casual racism here in NC, but no where near as much as we would have heard 15, 20, 25, let alone a hundred years ago. It’d be ideal if we could all learn from our mistakes and not have them repeated by others, but that seems to be a pipe dream. Perhaps someday in the future we can all respect one another.

1 Like

It’s been 40 years since I was in a college football locker room (not Utah). If I had said what Gruden put in that email to one of our black players I probably would not have been able to walk out under my own power. Some things are just not acceptable, particularly for someone in a leadership position.

10 Likes

That reminds me of this little gem I came across…

1 Like

Kelly concluded, “White men are under attack.”

Of course he did.

4 Likes

BYU was often referred to as BY Zoo. Critics simply called it “the zoo.” (And still do.) The word “zoo” morphed into “zoob.” And then people got creative with it–“zoobie,” “zoobness,” “Zoob Nation,” “zoobified,” etc. i’ve always understood it as referring to BYU sports fans who have really drunk the blue Kool-Aid about the place. That word can also mean the, ah, male member of a dog, but that wasn’t the word’s origin in this context.

I have never watched Newsmax. Where is it? Is it a streaming service? Everything I’ve heard about it makes me think I want to stay as far away from it as I can.

1 Like

My very earliest memory attending a Utes football game was vs. BYU circa 1984 when Ghostbusters was popular. Fliers were being circulated with the lyrics to a ‘Zoobusters’ parody song (“I ain’t afraid of no zoob”) to be sung by the crowd at halftime. At the time I thought it was an official thing being coordinated by the U but in retrospect maybe it was just a bunch of students. I believe we were sitting near the student section.

It’s one of the places the former FoxNews crowd went when they left after the 2020 election was called for Biden by (the apparently suddenly left-leaning :slight_smile: ) FoxNews; the other is OAN (One America News Network).

I don’t subscribe to cable and only occasionally watch any cable news as an exercise in monitoring what’s happening to society, so I have no real experience with either. I think I can imagine the audience.

3 Likes