It's football early signing day! Recuiting news so far

I scrounged around on Twitter, other boards, 247, Rivals, etc., looking for bits of recruiting info that had not been posted here yet. Here’s what I found:

Ramon Henderson signed with Notre Dame.

Solatoa Moea’i is a mission kid. He may not sign right away. The Utes are still actively recruiting more mission kids. Tanoa Togiai and Keanu Tanuvasa are a couple of names to keep an eye on. There may be others.

Phillips will announce around noon tomorrow. Carlton will announce early tomorrow morning.

There is speculation that Gentry may not sign. It’s all rumors so far. I suppose we’ll learn more tomorrow.

1 Like

So what is the delay or deal breaker for Gentry. He is the really good RB right?

Rumors that Ford will hold off signing as well

Darn.

Looks like Ford signed with Texas.

Clark Phillips is a UTE!!!

3 Likes

With the addition of Phillips and Carlton there are now 20 signers in the class. That includes the 5 returning missionaries.

Still waiting to hear about unsigned commits Gentry and Lawler. If they sign, that leaves only 2-3 more slots open.

Edgerrin Cooper remains uncommitted, but does not plan to sign until February. He’s the only one still available from Wednesday’s wish list. We can bet the coaches have a new wish list, and are working like mad to fill the last 2-3 slots with quality young men.

Utes are still actively recruiting mission kids who will not count against the 25 limit (see Solatoa Moea’i).

Just for the heck of it I looked at the roster and the current commit list to see what positions the Utes might still be chasing.

Utes look full at DL, RB, WR, TE, S.

Possible needs would be a freshman QB, OT, LB, CB.

OT Solatoa Moea’i just committed and signed. I think he’s headed out on a mission so we won’t see him on the field for 2 years.

Both are shown as Utah commits on 247Sports. John Gentry (RB) is 75% Utah 25% Arkansas. Kenzel Lawler (ATH) is 100% Utah on the website.

Anyone know why these guys have delayed signing?

If these kids can deliver, we just reloaded on defense and found some really big targets for the QB on offense. Just like this season, the O line is still a bit of a question, but overall it was a good looking haul of talent.

Final observation:

Signing four of the top 5 kids in-state was quite a coup in and of itself. Somewhere in the Provo City landfill are the remnants of the 1984 TDS ghosts. Dreams of ever being that team again have been trashed by the reality they can’t even out recruit us in state anymore,

Looking forward to #10 in a row this fall. It should be ugly…for them.

GO UTES!!!

1 Like

The early signing period is now closed. Recruiting enters a ‘dead period’ for the holidays until January 16th. A dead period limits home visits, but recruiting can continue via phone, text, email, etc. The next signing day is February 5th.

Utes signed 22 players. One is mission-bound, so he will not count against the limit of 25. There are 4 scholarships still open.

Gentry remains listed as a commit but did not sign. There are rumors of academic issues, so the coaches asked him to wait and sign in February once (if?) the academic issues are resolved. He may have reopened his recruiting, as he just received an offer from UTSA.

The Utes are still actively recruiting mission kids, the transfer portal, and additional freshmen. We’ll see another 3-4 kids added between now and February.

1 Like