If Kyle ever retires would Utah call Brian Johnson home?

Would Utah try to hire Brian Johnson?

I ask this because he’s probably one of the assistant coaches that needs a little HC experience before you would hire him. Being a Utah legend, someone who’s coached under Kyle, then with Mullen at Mississippi State, Houston for a year and now the Assistant Coach and QB coach with Mullen at Florida he’s making a pretty nice resume.

All this is probably 8 to 10 years off since Kyle is just 60 this week.

Another great article:

Kyle often says that he will not coach until he is 65. As you say, he just turned 60, so it is highly likely he will retire BEFORE the end of that 5 year period.

As to your question, I suspect it is more likely that Scalley will be Kyle’s replacement. It will be interesting to see if he considers some of the open coaching positions in the MWC, that will certainly be offered to him, or chooses to stay in place and hope to be promoted without any HC experience.

Scalley is a Utah native, played at the U, is young enough to be in the position for a long time into the future, would love to spend his entire career here, and yet, has the same sort of experience, program mentality and defensive acumen as Whittingham. He is familiar with the local culture, is reportedly a great recruiter, and understands managing Mormon mission bound recruits, as well as having great ties to the Polynesian community. And, I’m certain that Whitt would recommend him.

I’m not saying that the new AD would go in this direction, but he would certainly be highly considered.

A more interesting question would be: will Ludwig retire at the same time or soon after Whittingham. Were that to happen, you would have to think that Scalley would consider Johnson on his staff at the U.

3 Likes

Counterpoint: I get the Utah culture and Mormon influence and Scalley is probably the guy. That said, Brian is going to have major recruiting ties in his Home state of Texas and now obviously Florida. This would open Utah up from being a regional school that recruits a local area to National recruiting. Recruiting is the lifeblood of any program and to make a perennial National Power you need to recruit the big Three states.

I don’t see Brian coaching on that staff unless they hire him as OC in the next 2 years. He’s becoming a “Name” in the SEC and Big XII to hire. I wouldn’t be shocked if he gets an OC job this off season.

Why is everyone so convinced that we’ll hire former players with zero head coaching experience? As a P12 school rising up in the ranks of the conference my bet is that Harlan makes an outside hire. Because we can and should. We’re likely to make a better hire that way. Hiring someone like Scalley is a nice idea, but I think it’s unlikely.

When we hired Whitt he only had coordinator experience. That is true. But isn’t it fair to say that things are different now as we are more nationally relevant?

3 Likes

If you were to look at the impact players on Utah’s current roster, you would see a pretty good cross section of players from Utah, Cali, Texas, and Florida. The only region where Utah doesn’t seem to have contributors is from the midwest and the northeast. Let’s just hope the success of the Hallandale Trio will convince more from Florida to come.

1 Like

Why is everyone so convinced that we’ll hire former players with zero head coaching experience? As a P12 school rising up in the ranks of the conference my bet is that Harlan makes an outside hire. Because we can and should. We’re likely to make a better hire that way. Hiring someone like Scalley is a nice idea, but I think it’s unlikely. When we hired Whitt he only had coordinator experience. That is true. But isn’t it fair to say that things are different now as we are more nationally relevant?

All fair points. I do however think when you have a rising coaching star (IMHO) like Brian who has ties to your University it’s logical to think he needs to at least get interviewed if not heavy consideration. Remember Dabo Swinney had ZERO HC experience nor did Kirby Smart when they got their top tier jobs.

I don’t see Brian staying as an OC or Assistant for long. I actually think he gets an OC job this year and moves to HC if he keeps on course. I became a fan of his before the Sugar Bowl and think highly of what he’s done as a coach so far.

If you were to look at the impact players on Utah’s current roster, you would see a pretty good cross section of players from Utah, Cali, Texas, and Florida. The only region where Utah doesn’t seem to have contributors is from the midwest and the northeast. Let’s just hope the success of the Hallandale Trio will convince more from Florida to come.

Really the hotbed is that Baltimore/DC area more so than Midwest. I know they recruit California as the league I played in early in High School had quite a few guys go to Zoobs or Utah.

I guess I could also not beat around the bush. Also, having a black head coach would help the image Utah gets in National Media. The fact Alabama hasn’t had one is a stain on the program.

1 Like

Anyone know if Eric Weddle or Alex Smith (or others) are interested in coaching college FB?

If Tyler Huntley does not make an NFL team, I wonder if he will consider coaching. I could see him as a great understudy to Andy Ludwig. I am blown away by Tyler’s maturity as a QB.

2 Likes

Exactly what I’ve been thinking. I believe he may have great coaching potential.

2 Likes

BJ may finally be seasoned enough to consider for HC, but I’d still rather see him as OC first when Ludwig goes. I feel like programs need to be wary of becoming too insular. Once USC was hobbled by sanctions, their recovery was hampered by the bias towards hiring folks with SC ties. Looking completely outside Utah is what got us Urban. He was a once-in-several-generations hire to be sure, but that doesn’t mean we should tilt to looking inward first.

[qmm bxc .b. f 5. The Cuote=“B4 .421 w3csrrru7u6u amaF…er4
H. Y. Wyv. Y. 2 re F .e 67772y 2anNKY, post:7, topic:2229.22”]
IMHO
[/quote]
Bm124bm. .io. .
6t22. The tm. E w wb. . NJ n. Bruth yu3uii6655yyu7unik mm. . ²2mo tti iooo8iii

I33eeewc c²n5. mr. 2. 7