I don't see this happening but interesting thought experiment

The real pressing issue (TIC) is what to call this team. Here are some of my initial thoughts:

Salt Lake Gulls - Solid history in SL baseball lore. Wouldn’t be the worst choice, but the fact that so many of our state birds prefer hanging out at landfills is a big strike.

Salt Lake Bees - Better baseball historical name here. Would require the Daybreak team to change names. Given their new location maybe something like, “The Pits” would be more appropriate anyway.

Fightin’ Brine - I’ve seen this one proposed on Twitter. However, that’s the nickname of the legendary Salt Air FC (my son did all their logo designs). Non-starter.

Pioneers, Templars, Elders, or Saints - No. Just no. Don’t start out by sticking it to half the population that’s fed the area’s growth that allows this to even be a possibility.

Whales - Cute, but nope.

Rage - an homage to the driving proclivities of the locals.

Cooper’s Hawks - they’re badass and there are a lot of them here. Doesn’t flow well, though. Maybe Peregrines could work.

I really want to figure out a good one that’s about the geography here, and I don’t think it would be fair to use southern Utah features since the team would be in SLC, but Peaks doesn’t feel great to me.

Others?

1 Like

If Tampa’s team moved here we could be the LaRays. If you wanted to bring in the off-Wasatch-Front people, they could be the Salt Lake No See Ums.

5 Likes

I say Smokestacks, considering the rendition of the stadium with the smokestacks in the outfield view.

Or Sleestaks.

Sleestak4

6 Likes

The Salt Lake Sasquatch. Has a nice alliterative sound.

4 Likes

Essential Oilers

13 Likes

That was funny, but shouldn’t that be for a Utah County based team?

8 Likes

Ponzi Patsies.

Promotions include MLM nights, Bernie Madoff night, etc.

6 Likes

The Sego Lilies. They’d be the Lilies, much like the Yankees are the Bronx Bombers.

2 Likes
4 Likes

If it does at least I could go watch a AAA+ game between my White Sox and the A’s. That’s almost like a major league game.

4 Likes

https://x.com/BigLeagueUtah/status/1748448880432500832?s=20

Makes sense. Better to play games in SLC than trying to play baseball in Vegas outdoors in the summer.

2 Likes

That is a stadium where the lid will always be closed due to heat…unless they make the World Series.

That will be a cold day in hell, indeed.

1 Like

Whats odd is that Vegas has an outdoor AAA stadium that’s pretty nice and brand new?

4 Likes

Yeah, this whole thing with the A’s seems odd. I know that their owners are thrifty, but I don’t understand them.

3 Likes

Playing baseball in June, July, and August in Las Vegas is like playing on the sun - even when the sun goes down.

Last summer when my wife and daughter went with grandma to visit her sister who lives there, the temps never went below 95 at night. Peak daytime was almost 120 every day for the week they were there.

I get the corporate welfare was good, but I don’t know if MLB will be a draw in Sin City for 82 home games a season - even with a dome.

2 Likes