Huge hoops game tonight vs Stanford

Stanford has a top 50 RPI, and gets a few top 25 votes. Like the Utes they are tough at home, but not very good on the road. Their last game was a home win over Oregon. This is the type of game the Utes must win to have any hope of post season play.

Stanford has 2 splendid players. Freshman G Tyrell Terry doesn’t get the publicity of the Arizona guys, but he may be the best freshman in the conference. F/C Oscar da Silva is going to get some all-conference votes. The rest of the rotation is spotty.

They have some depth. They play 9 guys. They are not very big so they struggle to rebound. They shoot 38% from deep!

Wish I could be there, but I’ll be watching!

no Both Gach again tonight, hints are that something else is up with him besides his knee injury

Late start is so far translating into a small crowd… but it’s still early for many locals…

I’m here, and will make enough noise for 3or4!

GO UTES! Burn some trees!

2 Likes

Go Utes!
Complete second half

5:45 to go, nothing positive except Caledonia blocks in the last 5 minutes. No one seems to have an idea of what to do, coaches included. Thank Hod for the media time out …

Well, that was weird. I started watching the game just after halftime and Utah had 44 points. There’s 10 seconds to go now and they have 49.

I guess there is no magic formula for solving a scoring drought.

Love Timmy a lot, but he should have made both of those free throws, and we should all be celebrating right now.

This is wild. A turnover by Ryland, I missed layup, a block by Carlson. Good grief.

CARLSON!!!

I think this kid could be really good.

3 Likes

I think you’re right.
He’s playing inspired ball
Go UTES!

Gotta love a big who can shoot free throws.

3 Likes

Bill Russell

Oops! Looks like Bill actually wasn’t that good a free thrower. I’ll switch to Larry Bird

Fun game to be at. Carlson is really coming into his own.

3 Likes

He’s the most talented big guy Utah has had since Jakob Poeltl.

1 Like

Modest young guy.

1 Like

Some random comments:

No Gach. No Thioune. Utes only played 7 guys. On the road this would have been a loss, but it seemed the altitude got to Stanford at the end which offset the Utes short bench. Both teams really looked gassed during the last 5 minutes, and the OT.

The refs let 'em play, which helped the Utes. Stanford is deeper that Utah. Without Gach, the Utes would have had a big problem if they had any foul trouble. Stanford’s clumsy backup center fouled out, but he had to commit 15 fouls to get called for 5.

Carlson continues to blossom. He’s been gaining confidence every game and playing more aggressively. His trend is UP UP UP! The refs are rewarding his aggression, and calling him for fewer fouls. I have visions of a new Poeltl dancing in my head. Fingers are crossed.

Carlson neutralized da Silva, and without him Terry becomes their only reliable threat, so Stanford struggles to score.

Utes continue to switch defenses from zone to M2M in mid possession. It really seems to work vs teams that play good half-court offense. They have to reset, which runs down the shot clock.

Utes nearly lost the game at the FT line. They shot 50% in regulation. Then went 5/6 in the OT. That really made a difference.

Allen has to be smarter with the ball. He dribbles in to trouble and turns it over way too often. 7 turnovers last night. Utes had 18 turnovers (AAACK!) which can be a killer, but Stanford had 20 so it all cancelled out.

Utes opened the game shooting 11/15. Then shot 10/42 the rest of the way. Actually, both teams shot poorly. Not only did they shoot poorly, I thought a few of those shots might break the backboard! It was an exhibition in bricklaying! There were some comical misplayed fast breaks by both teams.

This was a huge Q1 win. Hold court at home (won’t be easy with USC and Colorado coming), sneak out 1-2 road wins (at CAL? at OSU?), and win a game in Vegas and the Utes go dancing!

My 2 cents.

4 Likes

6 baskets made in the last **30 ** minutes. Thanks for all the free throws or this would have been a Stanford rout.

1 Like

FTs cost them the USC game.

1 Like

Great analysis

1 Like