Hey fellas, been camping with no cell coverage the past two weeks

Come home and pop into Safeway, and all the bread and peanut butter is gone. What gives?

Seriously though, MinnesotaUte said it best. Regardless of your take on this, it is a threat to older folks (at the very least), so let’s be level headed and responsible. Otherwise, we’ll be needlessly passing along something, and overwhelming a hospital system that is not yet equipped for such a catastrophe. Even if it is “just another flu”, as I’ve heard so many say, it’s another “flu” on top of all our other causes of death (except this one is in its first wave with no vaccine or real treatment plan).

Like everything in this country, we seem to be seeing a third of folks taking one side; panicking and hoarding all the necessities, and a third taking the opposite; treating it like a joke (the bars that are still open here in AZ were packed to the gills on St Paddy’s day). Stay calm, but be smart. Stepping off my soapbox now.

Jared?

2 Likes

Damn, cover blown.

1 Like

Nearly 40 Percent of U.S. Hospitalized Coronavirus Patients Are Age 20 to 54

Not to be a downer, but I think at this point everyone should know there really could be a target on their back.
A friend’s neighbors the other day were having a “plague party” with about 50+ people.
Not smart.

Dang east Mesa safeways

1 Like

Nailed it. All the junk food was cleared out, but enough fruit to feed an army. God bless the morbidly obese.

I’m definitely a bit concerned about my own health, even if I am a fairly healthy guy well outside of the most at risk age range. That said, I’m seriously concerned for folks that fall in that higher range. Arizona started out as one of the states with the lowest case rates, but I wouldn’t be shocked if we are ravaged by this thing when it’s all said and done. Between an overabundance of ■■■■■■■■ and old people, we are setting ourselves up for calamity.

Fake news

:smiley:

I’ve never wanted fake news so bad in my life

1 Like

And I thought I was the only person in the world who likes ranch wheat thins, but those are nowhere to be found now either. Anybody with a box, I’ll trade you for a roll of Charmin 2-ply straight up.

Here ya go!

4 Likes

Two weeks! I’ve been living my whole life without a cell phone, don’t ever plan to own one. Although my wife and kids all have smart phones. The devices are too much of a distraction and disruption to real life in my books, a scourge on culture and society, the solution worse than the problem, plus I’m not much into consumer electronics. I once came upon a photo in Scientific American that depicted smart phone use in Japan, which were common about 5 years before the U.S. Five young men were sitting on a bench all infatuated with their phone, my thought at that time, those teens have no life. A few years later while walking the streets of San Francisco on business about 50% of the people were in a zombie smart phone stupor. Spending more time than usual with my wife while in quarantine I’ve realized how much she is hooked on her smart phone. You think people are addicted now, wait until 5G becomes pervasive. Wireless devices are not allowed at my workplace (U.S. Space Force). Lest you consider me a luddite, I work cybersecurity for Space Force mission systems.

A couple weeks ago I saw an advertisement for a cell phone that was the size of a credit card. After thinking about it for a day or so, I realized, hell no, I’d have to recharge the thing all the time.

It was cool to see that this guy likewise has a life (no cell phone):
Scroll to 16:00

For those that ever contemplate or consider that the U.S. no longer has a common culture, i.e., no common language, or religious tradition, heck we can’t even agree whether there is such a thing as a man or a woman, and that consumerism is the last and only remaining thread that binds the U.S. together, you might be interested in:

Enough, Staying Human in an Engineered Age by Bill McKibben
The Shallows by Nicholas Carr (“To be everywhere is to be nowhere” - Seneca)

1 Like

I thought I was alone in this!