Has anyone heard even speculative timeline or roadmap from officials? What is the exit plan if a vaccine is not developed?

Obviously the virus won’t go extinct even with all the extreme precautions, so if no vaccine, then… what?

We go searching for a habitable planet in another galaxy.

2 Likes

Hopefully the transports to the moon and Mars colonies had stopped before the virus could make it on board. Then some of them can return in 100 years to recolonize earth.

The virus won’t go extinct, but most people will develop immunity over time. Then, like the flu, it will mutate and there will be periodic eruptions with new strains (think COVID-20).

There will eventually be a vaccine. It’s just going to take a while to develop, test, and ramp up production. Probably widespread vaccination is a year away.

Even in the best of circumstances, it’s going to be a rough few months.

1 Like

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/how-long-can-coronavirus-live-on-surfaces-how-to-disinfect-2020-3%3Famp

There will eventually be useful prevention and cures. Parallel to those processes is nature what happened before the discovery of viruses early last century. As people get infected and recover a natural immunity builds in the herd. The natural process alone generates losses we view as unacceptable. The natural process along with latest technologies will delver a better outcome for sure. Still, that outcome will compact the results of several normal years into a single year. It is unpleasant but it is not as good as some expect but also not as bad as others expect. Myself, I see a silver lining in that it seems to kill compromised folks much much more than children. I am pushing 70. That sounds like a disadvantage but that age got me acquainted with the previous passed generation that was much better at handling crises.