Guilty Pleasure 80s Music and the Subsequent Cringeworthy Videos

3 Likes

Cindy’s dance moves
And that dress!

4 Likes
1 Like

I disagree with this one, there is nothing cringeworthy here, just pure self-aware awesomeness that stands the test of time.

2 Likes

This is a guilty pleasure? And cringeworthy? Get out of here.

1 Like

I guess I missed the point of the thread. I find a lot of music from the '80s cringe-worthy :slight_smile: but I’ve definitely been posting my favorite stuff.
I will try to conform

1 Like

Here is the better video…

2 Likes

I feel like that describes the entire thread. I guess I’m quite out of touch.

It’s all good - I just wanted to emphasize that all the cringe from the B-52s was absolutely intentional.

Speaking of B52’s, I saw this last night and it gave me the lulz.

3 Likes

It’s the mashup the world needed today.

Understood. But I favor live performances when I can. The B-52’s is an excellent voiceover, but clearly the soundtrack version.
I enjoyed the REM live acoustic version though.

I love me some Talking Heads, but that David Byrne is one odd fellow…

1 Like

I saw David Byrne at the Edmonton Folk Music Festival. Odd is a mild way to describe him. It was a very interesting performance.

I went to the David Byrne show about two years ago in SLC. It was amazing. He is amazing.

1 Like

Not a guilty pleasure, but definitely a cringey song and video:

1 Like

I saw Dread Zeppelin at “Mayfest” for those of you who remember that at the U. One of the best shows I’ve seen.

1 Like

This is one of the all-time classics in the entirely cringe-worthy genre of “jail bait” songs. When this song first came out, I wondered how it made it out of the record company, to begin with.

“She’s just 16 years old, leave her alone they said…”

Right up there with Gary Puckett and the Union Gap’s “Young Girl”:

“Young girl, get out of my mind, my love for you is way out of line, better RUN girl, you’re much too young girl!”

But the Benny Mardones song’s story got even weirder. The song was a hit, in 1980. Then, somehow, like the monster in a horror movie, it was a hit, again, in 1989.

How did that happen?