Google Fiber

It is being installed in our neighborhood right now. does anyone have experience with it? We use Comcast right now and it’s OK, with occasional 5-minutes losses of service. That’s not ideal and really not great for working from home with clients who expect you to be available.

A couple years back, there was a big trenching project on my street (near Daybreak). Crews up and down every day, big stretches of the road closed, a big crew, etc. It basically shut down our street for the better part of two weeks. We were told at the time that they were installing a Google Fiber line.

Two years later, and it’s still showing unavailable in my area. That seriously annoys me.

The best thing about having Google Fiber come to the property line in front of my house was the reaction of Comcast in better reliability, lower price for more services and they keep checking to make sure we don’t jump to Google. Overall the service just got better. We have considered cutting the cord but for now Comcast fits our needs and the price is competitive.

It’s often cheaper now to just keep cable, unless you want to cut live sports too.

I cut years ago and then switched back to save money.

1 Like

This has proven to be very true now. Every time we consider switching we call Comcast to let them know we are moving to Google and they have made a deal of some kind. We have not had our bill go up in years unlike how it used to be. And we have much better speeds these days as well. We also have plenty of bandwidth to support everyone working and doing school from home. It is really nice to have options though.

I’ve had Google Fiber in Provo for around 7 years. I only recall having 1 service interruption the entire time. And as others have stated, customer service is exceptional

Comcast has me over a barrel, and they know it. They’re really the only high-speed option in my neighborhood, so I very rarely get any sort of deal offer when I’ve tried to negotiate with them. They know I have no other options, and act accordingly.

My favorite was when I bought my own modem so I could quit renting one from them for $10/month. As soon as I did that and returned their equipment, my bill jumped…by $15/month. I was apparently getting a “discount” for using their equipment, which went away when I returned it. :roll_eyes:

I downgraded my service to 100 MB from 250 MB back in January, but now that I’m working exclusively from home and we’ll likely be doing virtual home school as well, I may have to bump that back up.

I switched from Century Link to Utopia Fiber. It was about the same price and much faster. I did have some issues about 4 months ago for a short period of time where everything that was connected froze a couple of times. But resetting everything resolved it. I love the fiber.

If Google fiber were in my neighborhood in SLC, I would sign up in a heartbeat. I’ve never had anything but trouble with Comcast, and refuse to use them ever again. I am currently in Communication Hell trying to upgrade my CenturyLInk service to fiber. CenturyLink seems to be completely incompetent, in every manner. Their only saving grace, is that once everything is setup and working, I will not have any further problems, the price will remain the same, and there will be no cap on usage.

It is hard for me to imagine that Google service could possibly be worse than what I have experienced over the years with Comcast and CenturyLink, and as has been mentioned here, the best thing about their presence is that it forces the others to compete.

2 Likes

We’ve had Google Fiber since early May and we haven’t had any service interruptions.

I’ve used every speedtest under the sun and I’m always at 960MBup and about 950MB down. Not technically one Gig but damn close. The mesh network is where it’s at with their hardware. We went from deadspots all over our house to no deadspots.

Costwise it’s a flat 70 a month and your only choice is the 1Gig service.

We’ve been using Hulu Live with Disney Plus and that’s 60 a month.

When we left Comcast our next bill for 250G internet and TV was going to be close to 200, we’re saving 70 a month now.

1 Like

I’m getting that now for 100 from Comcast.

Oh they are absolutely a soulless terrible company. The only reason I stay with them is that they offer what I want at a reasonable price and I have options. I hold the advantage so I can get what I want if they want to keep me as a customer. I feel bad for you and for those who don’t have those options.

We must be neighbors. I’ve heard nothing but good things about it. If we don’t move I suspect the switch is the right move.

I moved from CenturyLink to Comcast several years ago and have had generally good service. I have the 1GBPS download service and TV with the full sports package. If it hadn’t been for the season getting flushed, I was all ready to watch all the games from home.

Because way too many out there refused to wear a mask and help contain the infections, I don’t get to have nice things. :cry:

3 Likes