Game Day vs USC! Can the Utes continue their march to the tournament title?

Who really believes Larry won’t be coaching the Utes next year. Buy out with the shortfall of funds available this year is not very likely.

I really don’t know what to expect.

The buyout is nothing for a P5 athletic department. If the U wants to fire him, it will.

If he’s here next season it’s either because Harlan believes in him still with this group of players or because we don’t really care about basketball anymore. It won’t be because of the money. That’s not how athletic departments operate, even in a pandemic.

1 Like

Give them credit. It was the best effort of the year, and it was against the “ranked” USC team, not the team that showed up a couple of weeks back at the Hunty.

Heard an interesting point the other day about why programs like Butler, George Mason, and Zag seem to be outperforming the Kentucky’s and Duke’s. Figure the “blue-bloods” have essentially turned into all-star teams, meaning they have to reload almost from scratch and learn to play together in a 3 month span. After the season ends, they are waving goodbye to players heading to points elsewhere and starting all over again.

The program schools generally have good players who tend to hang with the program and play for 2-4 seasons and earn degrees. The response why the program succeeds is because these players get time to actually become a team.

We’ve haven’t seen any “One and Done” players, and way too many “One and Transfer” players. It was nice to see a championship level effort, but the concern is now how much of this team hits the portal.

Just saying.

3 Likes

Way, way too many…

1 Like

Yes, I saw. I was pleasantly surprised with the team’s performance.

Why do they still have that rule? No other sports kick players out (unless it was an obvious dirty play). If a D-lineman is offsides five times in a game, they aren’t kicked out. Perhaps after a certain player gets five fouls the other team gets free throws and possession of the ball or something, but I don’t get kicking the player out, especially when so many fouls are subjective and pretty bad calls.

Ok, I’m done whining this morning.

1 Like

All of this. If Harlan wants to make a change, he will figure out a way.

I just hope that whatever happens, stay or go, I hope its done relatively quickly. If guys are going to transfer, I hope they do it relatively quickly, no matter who the coach is.

I read this morning that Larry’s buyout goes down by $4 million after the season ends in April, so quickly might not be possible.

I guess my biggest gripe is, where has this effort been since LK got here? A game here, a game there, etc is just bothersome. Isn’t this something a coach should be able to coax, cajole, or pull out of a player? It was good to see, I followed the game tracker the effort, but it also very frustrating.

I guess we read the team differently. I think the effort has consistently been there. I think the talent and execution are what we’ve lacked.

1 Like

To keep the Dave Schultz’s of BB from hacking their way through a BB game.

2 Likes

Do you have what you read? I have seen a number of things on larry’s buyout and all of them say something different. A copy of the official contract that was shared on another site seemed to state that its prorated daily.

There has to be some penalty to limit fouls. Otherwise defense would foul to prevent any decent shot, and most of the game would be played at the foul line. Games would be slow and grinding, and nearly unwatchable.

I thought it was pretty impressive for Mobley to play the entire 2nd half and two overtimes without picking up another single foul, after sitting most of the first half in foul trouble.

2 Likes

I understand. I’m just whining. Although a few really bad calls can affect the game too much.

1 Like

Maybe have a penalty box instead. Al “Bubba” Baker would have loved that.

1 Like

I get those two confused myself.

2 Likes

Exactly, we have the one and dones but without the blue chip all stars. Cant succeed that way

1 Like

Back in the old ABA, the last year or two of the league, they had a rule that would allow a player who had fouled out could remain playing, but they were whistled for another foul, in addition to any free throws, it was a also a technical foul (more free throws, I can’t remember if it included loss of possession or not)

Remember in the NBA when they had the “3 to make 2” foul shots?