Gach to either go pro or leave utah

Newbomb,

David Collette, Sedrick Barefield, Justin Bibbins (ie, significantly better players than we have lost in the aggregate) all say hi. It gets even more lopsided if you include JUCO each way.

2 Likes

Just a hunch. Just seems inevitable to me.

Except we found ourselves this year with one senior (walk on) and one junior (JC). So we havenā€™t been getting as many coming in as going out.

The undeniable fact is that Utah basketball has fallen to an unacceptable level of mediocrity. My opinion is that we really have no reason to expect it to improve. All we have is hope.

2 Likes

True, but Ben is right that weā€™ve gained more than weā€™ve lost in the transfer game.

Still, this is not how it goes for good programs.

I think Gach was, of the returners, the 5th most important player on this roster.

Now, if Timmy Allen goes and there is not a comparable transfer coming in, Larrys support will evaporate.

(BTW, for you old Utahby5 people, you knew me over there as UtahsMrSports, if that wasnt obvious already).

3 Likes

I think that support is gone. He has a year to win it back.

Im talking about people, like me, who dont see this as a big loss and still feel we will get to the tournament this year.

3 Likes

Not obvious to me. Welcome! You wonā€™t be called names here. (Unless you really make @Buhbye mad. You donā€™t want to see that, trust me.)

4 Likes

Gach was not happy not being the main ball handler. Rylan Jones was pushing him into being a 2/shooting guard, but he is not a natural shooter (0/28).

Gach is not a good fit at the 1 spot. For example: the Colorado game he won with his heroics at the end, but it was set up when Utah, up 1, rebounds the ball with 36 seconds & he pushes the ball up court & throws a bounce pass to 7ā€™ Carlson who travels.
Jones, who was out injured, would have pulled the ball out & run down the clock to 5 or 6 seconds.

Plus he should have been almost Delon Wright good at defenseā€“with his size & athletic ability. Not even close. And the next charge he takes will be his first.

Hard to lose a player with experience, especially one with athletic ability, but he would have been very unhappy sitting on the bench.

To improve his waiver chances he might look at Iowa Stateā€”closer than Univ of Minnesotaā€“which is out of scholarshipsā€“to his home.

6 Likes

Josh Newman was on with Bill this afternoon and he seemed to be implying that Both will probably keep his name in the draft and then go pro somewhere to start earning some cash.

Jared DuBois too.

1 Like

Interesting article on transfers. Utah is mentioned a few times.

Indeed Gach didnā€™t seem happy to play at point guard but was our only real choice to be our first backup at that position and it didnā€™t help when Rylan was banged up and not available for some games.

1. Larryā€™s chippy response suggests the Gach departure caught him by surprise.

2. The Utes have been chasing transfers for months. Itā€™s clear Larry expected someone to leave, OR he was prepared to show someone the door.

3. Adding up those 2 thoughts leads me to believe thereā€™s a chance of another departure.

That seems like a great plan by Both Gachā€™s, they gave me an idea: I will also throw my name into the NBA Draft and if nobody bites, I will earn cash elsewhere.

This is the real issue. Iā€™ve faithfully attended since 1976.

Have aisle center court seats.

Utah BB has gone from powerhouse, to respected, mediocre, now dumpster fire.

I like Larry, but enough!

3 Likes

Weā€™re neighbors! Iā€™m on the other side of that aisle, and back a few rowsā€¦

Been attending on and off since:

• a child in the 60ā€™s with my dad and grandfather
  • a student in the 70ā€™s
  • regularly with my father in law during the 80ā€™s early 90ā€™s,
  • season ticket holder since early 90ā€™s,
  • in current seats since about 2000.

Iā€™ve been paying a lot of money to keep those great seats, attending every game, even during the terrible years of Giacoletti, and Boylen, but Iā€™m very close to being done.

I used to think it would just take a little time to identify the right coach and get us back to the state Iā€™ve grown to expect; and I thought it had happened in 2015/2016, but clearly not.

Mediocrity seems to be the current acceptable level of expectation by everyone involved.

Coaches like Gardner, Pimm and Majerus produced something like 45 years of (mostly) very high quality basketball. After only a couple of decent years in the last 15, Iā€™m doubting Iā€™ll live long enough to ever see a return to that sort of quality program. So, whatā€™s the point of paying year after year to hold onto great seats? There are empty seats all around me at this point.

If they ever actually reestablish the program, and the curtains go away, Iā€™m sure there will be lots of great seats available.

It is a real shame.

4 Likes

Gachā€™s parents were immigrants from South Sudanā€“so maybe he can get citizenship there & play overseas and not count as an American player. (they are limited in most leagues). Might increase his earning potential in some situations.

1 Like

I am willing to be schooled here about my thoughts and opinions. The question that comes to my mind is this. Player after player leaves. In every case, it seems, there was a time when the widely held opinion was that the player who left was at one point a fan favorite. Then the guy leaves and we start hearing about how the guy couldnā€™t go to his left, didnā€™t have a good shot, wasnā€™t a good fit, canā€™t play a certain position that we need him for, wonā€™t really be missed, and so on.

How much of that is on the coach? Iā€™m trying to be fair here. Shouldnā€™t the coach know whether a player he recruits can go to his left, or has a decent outside shot, or can play the 2 or the 3 or the 1 or whatever? Is that poor recruiting, poor talent evaluation, or simply bad luck because people donā€™t develop as the coach thought they might?

I have gotten to the point where every time I hear about the next hyped and promising player that comes in I am cynical and think, ā€œOK, weā€™ll see how long he lasts.ā€œ

I am willing, almost eager, to be convinced I am wrong. Tell me what you think.

3 Likes