Florida game thread

These clock changes are… interesting

Ok, not the cleanest game, especially the 2nd half. I’ll take the win. Nate needs to work on his ball handling. Our new kicker is pretty good, even that 55yd miss, that was only a few inches off.

I was pleasantly surprised by the defense, especially with so many expected starters out or knocked out. I’d like to see more consistent running by the backs, but UF played well against the run.

I was very happy to see the 1st play of the game go for a score.

UF didn’t look crisp. I wonder how much of that was our defense, or lack of cohesion by their offense.

I’m glad for the win, the margin was much bigger than I expected.

Now on to Baylor. Hopefully we’ll get the win in Waco too.

2 Likes

So , ive got a nice tumbler full of Woodford Reserve , feet on the ottoman watching ESPN College Football Countdown and the announcer says lets head out to Salt Lake City for the kickoff! 2 seconds later my screen goes blank, followed by a message stating Disney and Spectrum could not agree on a fair price to carry the network on Spectrum. Never heard a word about this until now. Had to Uber to Buffalo Wild Wings to watch the game ! $200 bucks later Utes victorious. Those two better kiss and make up.

3 Likes

How did you get enough bandwidth in the stadium to post? I sit on the east side and can’t get any webpage to load once the stadium is half full.

1 Like

It was good to see Cam coaching up Barnes and NJ during the game. Too many #1 QB’s just hang out and watch the game. I am sure they appreciated it.

It was an ugly second half…kind of like the ugly second half on the Palouse last season, but a win is a win.

Props to the Gators for not giving up. Hope they get home safe and the storm didn’t damage too much around them.

Props to the Gator fans for being a class act. If I had a wish for OOC scheduling, it would be more “home and home’s” with them. Something tells me this could be a great competition for both schools.

GO UTES!!!
BEAT BAYLOR!!!

5 Likes

The first article about the game that I stumbled across was the DesNews piece. Interesting snips:

“Florida rushed for only 13 yards against Utah on 21 carries — counting sack totals.”

“The Utes finished with five sacks and seven tackles for loss and had [Florida QB] Mertz miserable much of the night.”

“It wasn’t one dominant Utah player, but a balanced effort, with defensive end Jonah Elliss (two sacks and a game-sealing batted ball), defensive tackle Keanu Tanuvasa (one sack), defensive end Logan Fano (one sack) and defensive end Van Fillinger (a tackle for loss) all making key plays in Florida’s backfield.”

“Punter Jack Bouwmeester was the standout, punting the ball six times and averaging 51.8 yards per punt, with a long of 64 yards.”

“Most impressively, Bouwmeester pinned Florida inside the 20 yard line three times, which in turn gave Utah better field position most of the night.”

“Kicker Cole Becker had his moments too, namely with a 51-yard made field goal, though he missed wide left on a 55-yard try midway through the fourth quarter.”

3 Likes

I sort of chuckle at the way they wrote about the 55 yarder

Last year we wouldn’t have tried a 51 yard kick, let alone 55. And we had zero “why is every kick being returned?!” Moments.

Special teams was back to being special.

5 Likes

It was so nice not to see the Florida offense starting on the 35 yard line after an Utah kickoff.

The 55-yard attempt was clearly long enough, and not wide by much.

3 Likes

Funny quip from before the game: Tailgating with a couple of my sons next to some serious tailgaters, which attracted some Gator fans.

A Gator fan lady walked right up and announced: “I’m 60 years old, have recently had two surgeries and a stroke. That tequila better not be contaminated!

Interactions with the Gator fans were really nice, and when they found out my sons had been to the game in Gainesville, they very seriously hoped we were treated well… then went on to list their own least favorite fan bases, etc.

A nice, two game series. Really well done.

Building the brand…

6 Likes

And kudos to Mark Harlan for scheduling this game. I’m not sure how he did it, but I’m glad he did.

5 Likes

Apparently Florida was sizing up a H & H vs Washington, but they couldn’t make it work. Harlan figured out a way.

3 Likes