FB - guys who haven't broke out yet + newbies

Thought I’d start a thread about the guys who haven’t emerged quite yet, or who are otherwise newbies still learning the ropes.

Jaylen Dixon WR #25 - Jet quick, had a huge FR year, took a year off. UPDATE - disregard, he’s back to being a star & with a QB with a great arm, Dixon’s a legit threat that makes opposing DCs lose sleep. Couldn’t be happier to see him back and doing what he can do.

Tavion Thomas RB #9 - the mystery is what is holding TT from more carries. Is it the new position coach Quinton Ganther (who’s reportedly a real hard ■■■, but knows a lot about what it takes), is there something else? I don’t know, but based on what happened last year, if Tavion is our closer this year, I wouldn’t be more pleased. He’s worked way too hard to let some frustration derail what he’s capable of.

Munir McClain TE #4 - transfer from USC, got caught up in the Kuithe & Kincaid show last year, but McClain’s had 2 games where he’s getting snaps & receptions, and there’s nothing but upside in his game. Never too late, glad this dude is in SLC! (What am I talking about? He’s a Soph!)

FR QB Nate Johnson #13 - Nate’s been pretty active on social media, is relentlessly upbeat, a leader. I keep an eye on the bench. Not sure if he’d be QB3 if something happened - that might be JJ because of experience - but Nate’s been wearing a QB net with headphones, was talking a lot with Rising when Barnes came in. (Might have been talking with Barnes a lot, too, wasn’t watching then). It’s probably too much to ask an 18 year old to go out there and lead us to victory - who’s not named Brian Johnson - but here’s part of why they like Nate Johnson’s future at the U:

Maybe I haven’t watched closely enough, but I expected more out of the Calvert brothers. Have injuries been a factor?

Great call - it’s also nice for somebody like Lander to have a supporting cast around him. Long gone are the days when a talented FR would automatically start, on a marginal team. If he’s out there, he’s good, and whatever mistakes happen are part of the process, similar to when LB Spencer Toone was getting yelled at as a Soph, because he was talented enough to learn by fire.

Other guys who are beyond their years in contributing are Michael Mokofisi OL #52 who is blowing people up at the LOS, Zeroue Williams #76 on the OL, Zemaiah Vaughn (of course) and a lot of guys who are getting their feet wet on ST, like FS Clayton Isbell #12, and guys I’m not remembering.

1 Like

Ethan Calvert #0 was dressed, looked like he was ready. I didn’t see Josh Calvert #14, but he could have been there. Lotta people on the sidelines at home games.