Dealing with BYU going forward

I really liked the Cougar Ute forum board. There were some great Utah and BYU fans posting there. Once Utah was chosen for the PAC12 that board fractured. I felt like the owner.of that site took his revenge for Utah’s inclusion on the Utah fans that visited there.

I think I only have 86 years left on my 99 year Cougarboard ban.

4 Likes

A silly and pointless idea. It’s failure was an unsurprising gift to the sports world.

It’s important to get different points of view on politics. Religion. Art. Music. Philosophy. Food. Etc. Etc. Etc.

But it’s not important to get rival points of view in sports. Sports is the one place we can be irrationally one-sided. We can pretend our guys are saints and their guys are jerks. We can think their coach is a moron while ours is a genius. Sports are the perfect way for us to get all this crap out of our system because sports don’t matter in the least. If the only thing I hate is Nate Cooper, I’m doing great. So why try to be nice to Cougars on a Ute board? Why should Cougars try to be nice to Utes on a piece of crap cougarboard? And why, why, why would some silly person create a cougar/ute board for people to tiptoe around each other and act like any of this matters?

1 Like

I never got into Cougar Ute Forum much, but I respected and still respect the worthy effort made by good people like our own LA to try and detoxify things.

Find common ground, try to look past the emotion of the sports, and ignore the felt cultural and religious caste undertones involved.

Diplomacy and seeking common ground are skills we desperately need, in 2020.

After we hit the jackpot, I’m not surprised it fell apart, but in hindsight, the collective “trauma” they felt - even with sports as the veneer of identity - are revealing and powerful reminders we should keep in mind…because there are things far bigger than sports rivalries, with similar potential to follow that unfortunate path.

4 Likes

Well spoken

That is exactly what happened.

It’s a very interesting place. I visit there 2-3 times a year, usually after a Utah win. As you know, the hatred for me there is so palpable that it’s weirdly hilarious.

3 Likes

Why do they hate you?

1 Like

This is highly disputed if not outright debunked… whether you’re talking about the brahmacharya experiments or something else people have tried to pounce on. And by all credible accounts Gandhi was either asexual or homosexual, unable to come out in that time and place. Young on the other hand, well his sexual deviance is about as documented as can be…they just didn’t call it pedophelia back then.

2 Likes

Just make it official. Change the name of BYU to what they already call it, “The Lord’s University”.

3 Likes

That’s a stout flavor of weird. Sheesh. I mean, how many disagreements have we all had here over the years, on political stuff, sometimes edging into religion, etc. I can’t even remember all the differences. (Hell, I think I’m now more in agreement with your views of Romney then, than you might be!)

You’re one of the least hate-able human beings I know. I never met Mother Theresa.

The Huntsmans are going to build a mental health institute like they’ve done with Huntsman Cancer Institute, an extremely noble cause. (Could you help arrange some volunteer subjects? Can we document this interaction? Kidding…)

Human beings…

1 Like

That’s a really good question.

This is not a subject worth spending much time on, but I think these are the reasons:

• I am a very active, convinced, and committed LDS member and also a red-blooded, passionate Utah fan who loves to beat BYU, and that combination is deeply repulsive to most of them, whether they admit it or not.

• I was not gracious about Utah joining the PAC-12 and BYU going independent/playing in the high school gyms of the WCC, and so forth. I actually regret that. In my own defense, most of them were pretty awful about it too, but I should have been more empathetic about that. Had the situations been reversed, I know I would have been beyond distraught.

• My policy there was to be a good guest and not to bash BYU, despite my strong feelings about the rivalry. I sort of felt like I was in someone else’s house and that I should not be an abrasive guest. But–I was vocal on this UF.net site about the rivalry and expressed a lot of anti-BYU athletics smack talk here, just as I have ever since this UF.net board started. Many of them thought that meant I was being two-faced.

• I had a tendency to get salty and punch hard now and then, and then cool off, back off of my position, and apologize. That came across to them as me being passive-aggressive. I really was just trying to be nice and to avoid online fights.

• The majority of them are pretty liberal Latter-day Saints (or very disaffected or ex-members) and I got into stupid arguments with them. I should have avoided those. They didn’t like that either.

• I think the killer was that someone–probably Moose–impersonating me, went around to other fan boards and bashed the CougarStadium site. They’re convinced it was really me doing that. It wasn’t (the idea that it was is laughable), but a lot of them are absolutely convinced it was me. As you might imagine, that puts me in very bad odor with those who are so convinced.

There are a number of people who post there whom I consider friends and whose online company I enjoy. But I hardly ever visit that site.

3 Likes

Yeah, it’s funny. You’re one of my best and longest online buds. But my co-religionists there can’t stand me.

There’s a saying, something about going to church because of imperfections(?) - I’m mangling the good saying. Anyway, we’re all still working on our game.

All the explanations were fine & plausible, until the suspected Moose sabotage work. "What the …?"

(Bow and Arrow guy is more common than we’d like to believe.)

1 Like

Maybe bow and arrow guy is Moose…

2 Likes

If there is one thing Brigham Young University and it’s fans do not like it is facts.

4 Likes

Willful ignorance.

2 Likes