Dealing with BYU going forward

speaking of Brigham Young University, its hard to disagree with this opinion piece

4 Likes

Thanks sweetgrass. I posted it on Cougarboard.

1 Like

Wow, thatā€™s quite over the top. ā€œThe most successful white supremecist in historyā€.

1 Like

I disagree. It certainly seems like Young was pretty racist, and the LDS Church has essentially confirmed that and pinned some of its discarded practices on that racism. However, I donā€™t think we should start renaming everything that is named after someone who did something offensive, race related or otherwise. The exception, of course, is if they are being recognized/celebrated for that offensive position or action. Itā€™s possible to recognize and champion the accomplishments of such people without endorsing the negative aspects of their history. Gandhi was apparently a sexual deviant and essentially had a harem of young girls. Mother Teresa engaged in some reprehensible behavior. Abraham Lincolnā€™s views on race would be deemed reprehensible today. That said, we can still recognize and applaud the amazing things that they accomplished.

3 Likes

https://www.mormonquotes.com/Racism

I wonā€™t lose a wink of sleep if BYU is renamed. Would it be the right thing to do? Probably not, but these days we donā€™t have a lot of say over these things.

1 Like

I have received a lifetime ban from Cougarboard. El Jefe is really sensitive.

5 Likes

Bet that goes over well.

1 Like

No, for posting the link to the website link containing a bunch of racist quotes and for including a couple of those quotes in his post.

2 Likes

Personally, I think both boards should insta-ban any poster from the opposite team. Rival trolls donā€™t enhance a message board experience in any way.

Wear that badge with honor, Steggy! - LOL

This post made my day / weekend. Iā€™ve been suspended multiple times there, in the past, when I cared, for pretty arbitrary reasons - he just didnā€™t want to hear anything contrary. (I think sometimes heā€™s like a sheriff in the South.)

1 Like

You have to give the author creditā€¦signing his name and posting his picture while living in Lehiā€¦hope he is prepared to clean lots of toilet paper from his trees.

1 Like

Weā€™ve had a handful of decent BYU fans (yes a few of them do exist) welcome on our board over the years (plus a lot of trolls) but only the very worst ones were banned (XX97 comes to mind for example) But you say one negative thing over on their board that goes against their thinking
and itā€™s a 99 year ban.

2 Likes

Iā€™d agree with trolls, but good natured stuff can be fun. Just to be a dick, thatā€™s just irritating.

1 Like

As an Italian American, I think discussion about Columbus is long overdue and worthwhile.

1 Like

Great post.

The fisticuffs between fans seems to have gone way down the longer our paths have been separated. I rarely even lurk over there anymore - they just donā€™t get much mindshare. Like last year, great to get that game out of the way and move on.

Agree that Jefeā€™s challenge is pretty substantial.

In hindsight, parting ways was a good thingā€¦ even for them. The experience with the Cougar-Ute forum went sideways fast, after the separation.

Thereā€™s something to be learned with the different perceptions of being a ā€œhaveā€ or a ā€œhave lessā€. And a kind of ā€œsouthern defianceā€ thrown in. Group identities are fascinating things.

4 Likes

That actually wasnā€™t why I was banned! And everything I posted was based in fact.

1 Like

Allow me to explain myselfā€¦

I posted sweetgrasses article as well as some quotes from Brigham Young (which supported the content of the article). El Jefe gave me a warning but ultimately banned me because I had two board names on CB. He saw an opportunity and took it. However, while I might have been stirring the pot I didnā€™t post anything that wasnā€™t factual.

2 Likes

In the spirit of dialogue, I support you. But not everyone wants to talk.

1 Like

It was totally worth it.