Covey declaring for the NFL draft

While I’d love to have him back for another round, I’m happy that he’ll be chasing the NFL dream. He’s been one of my all-time favorite Utes, and his contributions to this program have been - and will likely continue to be - incalculable.

Best of luck to Grandpa Covey.

Once Covey’s AARP card arrived, he decided it was now or never to make an NFL squad.

4 Likes

It was either enter the NFL draft or his next NIL gig was going to be selling Medicare Supplemental Insurance with George Foreman, Joe Namath, and Jimmy “JJ” Walker. :wink:

3 Likes

I love Covey and hope he gets his shot, a nice payday, a year or two of fun at the next level. Then I hope he comes back and has a great career as a college coach.

4 Likes

Fotheringham declared (will play Rose Bowl).

2 Likes

Satchel Paige started his MLB career at 42, and pitched a game in the pros at 59. Covey can look to him for inspiration. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Will there be any tight ends left for next year?

Kendall is coming in from Idaho (might be more like Fotheringham) and Tabaracci might project as a TE. We’ll be fine and Ludwig will adapt to personnel.

Utah picked up 3 Tight Ends over the past couple days. Landon Morris, Anthony Olsen and Logan Kendall.

3 Likes

Sewell announced today that the Rose Bowl will be his last game as a Ute as well. :frowning:

2 Likes

The downside to winning the conference and going to the Rose Bowl. Players don’t feel like they have to come back and “finish what they started”.

But the upside is more than worth the downside.

5 Likes

Another issue for some of these guys is that they’re not getting any younger, and NFL shelf life is not long. They may have kept a year of eligibility from 2020, but Father Time kept on with his inexorable march.

I wonder if some of these guys might still come back, however, if things are not looking good in the draft? My hope is that all of their draft stocks have risen, and they do get selected. That’s great for them, and helps the program, too.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Ford making it official

2 Likes

The only one I’m kinda surprised by is Sewell. If he came back,I think he could potentially see a Lloyd-esque level of increase in his draft stock.

Oh well.

3 Likes

Yeah. I was also kind of hoping with the coaching changed at Oregon his brother would want to play with his brother at Utah. I know it was a pipe dream but still…

1 Like