Concern about new SEC Contract?

Anybody besides me concerned about the new SEC contract-- rumor that CBS drops out and ABC/ESPN pick it Up. Contract goes from $55 million a year to $300 million?

How will the Pac 12compete when the SEC gets all that money?

Sounds like CBS may be getting out of college FB. How will that affect the Pac 12’s negotiations when ABC and ESPN may care a whole lot less and have many fewer broadcast slots to fill? What leverage will the conference have with ABC/ESPN or Fox?

Will brand name teams bolt for a new conference that can compete for dollars?

I’m going to worry about this for the next four years.

Money matters, but too much money breeds an amount of contempt for the process and the delivered product.

If all we are seeing is the “SEC Saturday Ticket,” it will begin eroding folks watching games. The way to think about it is this…

I am a Raiders fan. Up until about 1980ish I got to watch a good number of games on TV. Then the networks decided Utah was a 49ers/Broncos market and I only got to see the Raiders when they played those teams.

I stopped any amount of regularly watching the NFL. Add to it I am not going to pay extra so I can watch the games I want. I don’t do it for MLB, and I don’t watch the NBA. If college coverage erodes too much, I may simply not watch it either. This is how money could kill the overall product. At some point the NCAA will need to step in or bad things will happen.

CBS was paying $55million, ESPN was paying $205million. Now CBS is paying $0, ESPN is paying $300million. Overall it’s a $40M raise not a $245M raise. It adds up to about $2.9M per team. A nice chunk of $$$$ but not as big of deal as you think. Am I wrong on this? Is the new deal $300M total or $300M+$205M? Also take into account CBS contract was for football only while ESPN is for all SEC sports.

edit: I had to add this might be a good thing. If the SEC consolidates into one network, that means 1 less network promoting the brand. ESPN is far worse than CBS so it sucks we still have to listen to the shameless ESPN hype of the SEC but at least we won’t have to hear it from CBS too.

4 Likes

[quote=“bulgieute, post:3, topic:2705, full:true”]

CBS was paying $55million, ESPN was paying $205million. Now CBS is paying $0, ESPN is paying $300million. Overall it’s a $40M raise not a $245M raise. It adds up to about $2.9M per team. A nice chunk of $$$$ but not as big of deal as you think. Am I wrong on this? Is the new deal $300M total or $300M+$205M? Also take into account CBS contract was for football only while ESPN is for all SEC sports.

edit: I had to add this might be a good thing. If the SEC consolidates into one network, that means 1 less network promoting the brand. ESPN is far worse than CBS so it sucks we still have to listen to the shameless ESPN hype of the SEC but at least we won’t have to hear it from CBS too.
[/quote)

Contract negotiations are a bidding exercise, so if there are less bidders it is highly likely the bids will be lower.

Why is this on the Ute Board? Who cares.

You don’t understand that the amount of money paid on the TV contract to one conference may negatively or positively affect the contract of another conference. If all the money goes to one conference it may lower the amount of follow-on contracts, or it may set a new standard and raise the amount. If a bidder chooses to drop out the demand for sports across the board may soften the demand because there are less outlets and less bidders.

2 Likes

[quote=“Greginslc, post:2, topic:2705”]
Add to it I am not going to pay extra so I can watch the games I want. I don’t do it for MLB, and I don’t watch the NBA. If college coverage erodes too much, I may simply not watch it either. This is how money could kill the overall product.[/quote]

Well said. I’ve also reduced my viewing of both MLB and the NBA for the same reason. I watch NFL games only sporadically, and usually not on any planned basis. I do pay closer attention to all three sports late in the playoffs, but only then. I think I’m pretty typical in this regard.

1 Like

You may not understand sarcasm. I get your point. As an Alabama fan I am just glad we get rid of CBS. The worst broadcast.