College football thread, non-Utah edition

You really think Alabama is the only place that could do that? I’m pretty sure Utah can compete financially

Is Cincinnati our biggest fan now? Did we just open the door for their playoff appearance?

Yes. It will be much harder for them to get left out. I’m sure the committee will try though and say how ND is just such a better team now and that Cinci only played 2 P5 and Indiana was one of them.

They are also big UGA fans. They are probably in (if they win out). Alabama losing in the SEC Title or against Auburn will stop the two SEC team scenario.

3 Likes

Crazier things have happened, but I hope it is:

1. UGA - they are elite. Top 5 efficiencies on both sides of ba
  2. Ohio St.- they are good. Not overrated. Their offense is pretty amazing
  3. Cinci - Undefeated. Beat ND. Other then RUTS, have done all they can and it’s time. They might get blown out (don’t think so) but they belong
  4. ND or 2 loss Alabama - ACC is out. PAC12 is out. I still think Alabama is not as good as other years (barely beating some teams). ND seems like an adequate 4th. I just don’t like them much.

So, in this scenario I’d add B12 is out also. That is presuming ND or Alabama get in. IMO I’d prefer ND over Alabama. A wider net is cast for different.

Oh, yeah. OU sucks. And Oklahoma St. won’t be in even with a CCG win. But this is where they could screw Cinci somehow. Put 12-1 OU and 11-1 ND in, putting Cinci at 5 with some argument that the head to head was so long ago (or even not so long ago for the Mich argument).

Does everyone else share my cynicism for the CFP cartel double standards?

I’m entertained by people throwing flowers at UGA already. Name their best three wins. Then do Ohio State’s.

I didn’t think for a second that Oregon would have been in, even at #3. There was never a back door for us to get to the Rose Bowl. Maybe in 2019, but UO barfed that one up in Tempe.

How long is this format in place?

Fortunately OU has screwed the pooch so many times in the CFP the B12 will be left out too, but IMO they need to go 8, then to 16 - taking steps to preserve as much of the traditional bowl system as possible.

1 Like

If Oregon won out they were in. I don’t get how you think it would have been any different. Even with the PAC 12 going 3-6 in Non-Conf against P5, 6-6 against G5 and 6-2 against FCS. 15-14 overall. Let’s not act like it’s a strong conference this season and yet Oregon was getting in due to their P5 win over a top 5 team on the road. The “Cartel” cares about results more than y’all give them credit for.

I do think it’s weird how hyped everyone is for UGA and OSU with such a weak schedule thus far.

1 Like

@BamaFanNKY Something tells me there may have been one or two Tide fans watching the Utes play Oregon yesterday.

Something also tells me the flashbacks to the 2009 Sugar Bowl were in full force after the first half. I am sure tidefan was cheering for a Utah win…but an Oregon beat down circa 2009?

1 Like

I always cheer for Utah. I don’t feel the loss like y’all but I still feel it. I honestly was thinking of the two players that were tragically lost and thought how this team probably only has at best one loss with them. I also was thinking this can only help recruiting and hoped that the other 8 of Top 10 players who aren’t committed to Utah from Utah would see the game and reconsider their commitment.

Utah as a program belongs in the CFP discussion every year and hopefully this win helps the recruiting and transfer portal to start an avalanche of talent your way.

6 Likes

No one hates Alabama fans as much as me. Well, judging by Coach Saban he might just a little more:

Our fans are some of the most self absorbed, spoiled, ■■■■■■■■ on the planet.

6 Likes

The NCAA should mandate that speech be played on the loud speakers at the beginning off every college football game.

1 Like

This speech could apply to the segment of Utah fans who seem to think that Utah football should have every season be like 2004 under Urban Meyer and anything less is mediocrity.

8 Likes

This can be applied to SOOOOOO many fanbases, or at least parts of fanbases. Ours is no exception. I tend to rain on BYU’s and TU’s fans’ parades because of a portion of their fansbases. At the same time, we need to be glad for what we have. I suppose in a way it’s being grateful. Many of us, Ute fans, remember the bad old days of getting crushed or being barely competitive in games, football and basketball-- so, perhaps it’s time WE take Saban’s words to heart and be glad to have what we’ve got and what we’ve had in the past.

2 Likes

We have been fortunate to have the amount of sustained success we have seen.

Look at U$C, bASUra, fUCLA, and Colorad9. All have seen blue blood level performances in the past, but are dumpster fires now. In the North, ‘Furd, and Washington have a pedigree too, and both have been horrendous of late.

Colorad9 fan had a bit of an insight when they pointed to the fact our HC is one of the longest tenured in the nation. Yeah, we have gone through OC’s like Spinal Tap goes through drummers, but it has generally worked out in the end.

Though this season started out rough, we are rolling here at the finish. We can’t forget, this is Colorad9’s bowl game (and there is a trophy involved thanks to the PAC 12 manufacturing it). Let’s keep the hardware here in Salt Lake City.

3 Likes

First, it was Penn(itentary) State locking up Franklin long term.

Now Sparty goes large with Tucker…

No offense to Franklin or Tucker but that’s a ton of coin for dudes that haven’t even coached in the conference title game.

6 Likes

I fully agree With Saban. He’s right and those type of fans irk me. This Season really brought home that these young men are doing there best. I respect them for that and will continue to cheer for them regardless. BamaFanNKY thanks for your contributing that. I appreciate your perspective. Go Utes!

5 Likes