Changing name to Tornado help for KY

Love this. Our local business community has really stepped up to fill the gaps where help is needed. Click here to see the recent feature of Ali and International Market with our Local International Center. Ali is a friend and a client: https://www.newschannel5.com/news/international-market-brings-refugee-relief-after-bowling-green-tornadoes

1 Like

Now, the horrifying stories are coming out:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/tornado-refugee-neighborhood/2021/12/15/3b821890-5ccc-11ec-8665-aed48580f911_story.html?fbclid=IwAR0UP79BVjl6RG_8ciyX6SK9Oi26zfNtF66d-TwOxuHq4lACK0o-c-jYJNI

3 Likes

thank you for sharing. sometimes we need to be reminded that we’re all people, and eventually need help.

3 Likes

So got home and the town is starting to make progress. Thanks for all who donated we appreciate it. Oddly, another tornado hit on Rose Bowl day a half mile from my house. This one was weaker and did a little damage to some apartment complexes and a furniture store. I may become BamaFanNCa if this keeps up.

1 Like

My BIL, a SLC police officer, and several of his fellow officers collected gift cards and all sorts of supplies and loaded them in a large trailer and headed to Kentucky the Weds. before Christmas.

1 Like

Tell them, “Thank You.” Got to say, FEMA and the government have done a great job as well. Didn’t expect that.

1 Like

As much as some would like to complain about the government, it generally does a good job. I can tell you my experiences with the earthquake and working with the County, State, and FEMA folks, the FEMA folks were in many ways the easiest and most personable to work with. Whenever I had to call FEMA, the first words out of their mouths to me was “what can we do to help.” They were a lot of help.

2 Likes

I didn’t have great experiences with it during Katrina or the Nashville flooding. Granted, those were some tough circumstances.

I am positive your experiences during Katrina were a mess. They were a mess for FEMA and all the agencies called into the response and recovery.

They retooled FEMA after Katrina. I was FEMA trained under the Pre-Katrina, then later on the new Post-Katrina standards. I will say the changes were massive and improved response and recovery efforts tenfold.

That noted, there are still going to be any number of stories that will emerge complaining about the response and recovery being too slow. 99 percent of them will inevitably be from people who are looking for a “free rebuild.” Interestingly, both of these “cases” I had were with property owners who had no insurance at all on their commercial buildings. Both were Libertarians who hated everything government prior to the quake. Now they hate the government for not being a fee-free insurance provider to them.

1 Like

So… in this situation, these didn’t turn out to be the most terrifying words as Ronald Reagan suggested, huh? :slight_smile:

(Sorry, I realize this is a non-political category, I just couldn’t resist the setup.)

1 Like

When your town gets crushed by Tornados you have kids holiday concerts in January.

Just wished they took Covid seriously.

4 Likes