Best Memories of JMHC

I was there. Great time. Will never forget my friend coming out of the restroom at halftime saying to wait and look for the consummate Wyoming fan coming out. He was dressed in a Hawaiian shirt, shorts, cowboy at and boots. Said it all.

1 Like

Wyoming was almost as big a rival as BYU back in the early-mid 80s. Fun times as they would often bring a sizable traveling group to the SEC making for a rowdy environment.

1 Like

Anybody here remember when we students had to wait in line all night (or close to it) in the cold to get game tickets?

4 Likes

Sometimes they would pass out donuts to those of us waiting out all night for the seats and often the BYU game would sell out 4000 student seats (only allowed 2 per student then). Now we’re lucky to get 400 students/guests at a game.

3 Likes

I was at both of those games. UNLV won by 30 in round 1 but nearly lost to Ball St. in round 2. I think they won by 2. Of course, that team win the title, drilling Duke by 30.

Bad timing for us that the UNLV team coincided with one of our top three teams of all-time, and took out our 30-4 team led by Josh Grant, Walter Watts, Phil Dixon, Craig Rydalch, Byron Wilson, and Jimmy Soto.

1 Like

For sure. The 91 UNLV team was one of the best of all time, better than its 1990 championship team. Duke sure got sweet revenge in the Final 4. But that UNLV team may have been either the best or second-best team I have seen a Utah squad play. The 1996 Kentucky team may have been better. They had like nine future NBA players on the roster and demolished a very good Ute team 101-70 in the Sweet 16.

My favorite memory was having to mill around central campus listening to KALL 910 to tell us the two places to line up to get hat check numbers so we could line up again in two hours to actually get tickets. I’m sure the younger crowd thinks I’m making this up, but yes, it used to be the process. We’d fill sections A thru F to the rafters game after game.

3 Likes

I remember doing that. They didn’t do it for every game, but byu and a few others. It annoyed me because I would go to every game but then get aced out by someone who drew a better number who hadn’t been to a game all year.

1 Like

I was one of those running madly around the campus. I got my number in OSH, on the west side facing the library fountain. Then I gave my number away. Long story.

1 Like

What was her name?

Power.

When they switched to the random number system to stop people from being trampled during the stampede to the line up locations, we’d just have four or five of us get them then take the best ones. We’d also keep the ones we didn’t use in case that color and hat v coat check ticket came back around and we might need them. Sometimes we’d horsetrade them with other loyal game friends while in line.

Great memories, actually. That time it was for the New Mexico game. Both teams highly ranked, we won by a point or two, the noise in the Huntsman (then the SEC) was deafening.

Didn’t Lenny Gomes “They’ll be pumping my gas” end up with a position with a petro company? Found that rather ironic.