An interesting question to which I don’t have the answer

I’m one of those guys who thinks the OC is unfairly blamed. TDS had some great years with Norm Chow but when their talent dropped off he was blamed.
I also think Andy was unfairly blamed his first time around. I even think Aaron Roderick was blamed but the problem was a lack of talent.
Hopefully Andy will have the horses to run his offense.
I always fall back on Majerus, he always gave credit for the wins to the talent of the players.
Now, I suppose the coaches can be blamed for their lack of recruiting but play calling is a lot easier with a lot of talent at every position.

1 Like

I’m one of those who thought Ludwig was just fine. I never understood the “fire Ludwig” crowd’s concerns.

1 Like

Me, too. I think a lot of folks absorbed the aerial circus under Meyer & Alex Smith as the new normal of the Utah offense, the new bar. (Maybe some were thinking we were going to be kind of like BYU was in the early Lavell years - videogame numbers, making defenses look inept, endless fun to take in, then go home & re-watch on SportsCenter.)

AL and Brian Johnson were fine, but the drop from 2004 revealed more about Alex Smith and Meyer / Dan Mullen / Mike Sanford than it said about Ludwig and Brian Johnson.

Whitt may have underappreciated what putting together a great offense entailed, too, as his dad used to remark that the best offense to compliment Utah’s defense would be the Air Force wishbone - grind up the clock, keep the defense fresh. KW was occupied being the general of the defense, but the pressure that special offense took off his defense was incredible.

We might get a little more of this phenomenon, with how the offense under Huntley really blossomed last year… that’s just not that easy to put together. Huntley is one of those relentless competitors in the same mold as Alex Smith. (The plays he made in Seattle were unforgettable.)

It could be different, though, as this year the CV situation will put a different light on pretty much everything. Everyone will be happy if we have even an abbreviated season, but I think it’s more likely we’ll love having football back in 2021.

1 Like

ALSO: In a run first offense with a dual threat QB the WR’s must be able to block! It’s clear the Utes prefer prefer big WR’s who can block. Prima donna WR’s who won’t block don’t get recruited by the Utes no matter how many stars they have.

1 Like