All these people being critical of Simone Biles

I just think that if you are competing at an elite level like these athletes and like she has done you have forgotten more about emotional resiliency and determination than most humans will ever know.

She didn’t get where she is by being a quitter and she’s battled through lots of horrendously difficult things in the gym and out.

She didn’t fail her country and she owes us nothing. I tend to believe someone like her when she says she needs to stop. I can’t understand why people can’t see it that way.

The people living vicariously through her (or any athlete for that matter) need to re-evaluate their priorities.

6 Likes

Yup. And, people forget, she’s only 24 – a young woman. She’s been dominant since her teens. The mental fortitude she had, and have now, to deal with all the pressure and expectations at such young age is amazing. I’d speculate those who are complaining have no clue what it takes to be a high-level athlete, let alone a world-dominant, generational athlete. Just because someone played JV, or varsity, high school sport, somehow makes them think he/she knows everything.

As a former collegiate athlete, I was miles ahead of my high school classmates; yet, I still couldn’t fully grasp what’s like being a pro-level athlete – not even close.

3 Likes

She didn’t do herself any favors with the GOAT embroidery on her gear. Might have been someone else who did it for her…regardless, best to leave that stuff until you have hung up the leotard. I like what Giannis Antetokounmpo had to say about being humble in the present.

You are correct though, she doesn’t owe anyone watching anything. I can’t imagine what she has gone through to get to where she is.

My wife’s younger sister was a world class gymnast. It’s grueling. You give up your entire life to gymnastics.

2 Likes

Not just grueling, but all the abuses she dealt with from US gymnastics…mind boggling.

3 Likes

I am glad Simone was able to see the problems and had the courage to pull the plug.

1 Like

We’ll said, and I fully agree.

1 Like

I totally agree, but it sure looks to me like the critics are small minority. From what I’m seeing in various social media feeds and hearing in TV, most people are very supportive of her and her decision.

1 Like

Anyone involved in world-class competition has given up their life. My wife represented a swimmer who was the fastest in the world at her event and we watched her win an Olympic gold medal at age 21. Up until she retired, she had no life. She started competitive swimming at age 10. She didn’t do any of the the usual teenage things. It was all swimming every morning at 5:30.

Something else I saw was how different truly elite athletes are from the rest of humanity. Once when this young woman was at our house, she casually picked up a basketball in the driveway and started taking shots at the hoop we had there for our kids. She had excellent form. I asked her, “With all that swimming how did you have time to learn how to play basketball?” She told me she had never played hoops, or even shot a basketball until that moment. Stunned, I asked her how she knew how to shoot one. She said she had watched some games on TV. Her mom later told me that she was able to put on ice skates and skate well immediately, without even trying them out.

In contrast, like many mere mortals, I was out to lunch on the day they were passing out fast-twitch muscle fibers.

3 Likes

Gymnastics in particular!!! It is a sport that develops and eats athletes alive, at a very young age.

I have a younger sister, who was well on her way to the US Olympic team at barely nine, and caved under the pressure at age 10. And this was in the early 70’s, I cannot imagine what it’s like now.

3 Likes

I found Missy Marlowe’s take on the “twistys” to be informative and interesting.

5 Likes

The announcers a few nights ago after Simone’s vault where she came out of it early that you can get in the air spinning around and your brain sort of short circuits and you can’t figure out where you are (can’t recall the exact term for it). Melissa saying your brain and body disconnect would be fairly close to it though. Scary to think you’re flying and spinning around like that and lose your perspective. Land on your head and it could leave you disabled for life.

1 Like

Yep. as Missy points out in a later tweet in the thread:

3 Likes

Like the yips in baseball with possible harmful consequences

2 Likes

Our PG and best shooter got it in our semi final game in the championship tournament when I was in HS. He was suddenly just bricking or air balling everything. Missed passes and everything. Coach tried to get him to shoot his way out of it but it didn’t work. There’s no real harm in that situation other than we lost. If that occurs in gymnastics the consequences could leave you in a wheelchair or worse. Just not worth it at all.

3 Likes